PDA

View Full Version : Teeth grinding and clenching

kww5190
08-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Does anyone else have this? I was told by my dentist that I am doing it alot and causing damage, he said likely due to stress. Well duh!! He wanted me to get a night guard but it's $514 and the insurance won't cover it. Anyone have suggestions on how to stop or other ways to calm it. Turns out he thinks it's what is causing my headaches and ear pain I have been having.

Enduronman
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Smart man..other then the $514 night guard!! LMAO!! Go to the nearest "Big Box Retailer" and buy a mouth-piece used by atheletes. Follow the directions on the package as you'll form it to fit your own teeth...About $5.00! Yes,..FIVE DOLLARS...AMERICAN MONETARY UNITS OF TRADE AND COMMERCE! No, I'm not being a smarta** I just find it funny how (professionals) tend to make their incomes so much higher then everyone elses...its called RIP-OFF, SCHEMES, SCAMS,..all at our middle class expense.

Enjoy your new $5.00 mouthpiece!

Enduronman...:)

Shuffle
09-09-2012, 02:01 AM
While I do agree with Enduronman opinion, I don't agree with his solution. Dentist overcharge their night guard. But a custom night guard will reduce your teeth grinding and won't change your teeth position over time. And a soft sport mouth guard has been proven to increase teeth grinding by more than 50%! The solution that a friend of mine told me was to "cut the middle man" and deal directly with the dental lab. I got mine for about $150 and it is still looking new after a year. I dealt with the lab recommended on this page: cureyourbruxism(dot)com (can't seems to post link yet. I will edit it later). I never had any problem with them.

I hope that helps!

FedUp
09-09-2012, 05:53 AM
Walmart had night guards with their toothpaste

Buttercup
09-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Such a common problem for us anxiety sufferers! I spent years with a sore and clicking jaw, ear pain, pain up the side of my face etc and turns out it's from clenching. Got a custom made guard from my dentist (I am in the UK and it was about £100) and bye bye pain and clicky jaw :-) I got mine a few years ago and it is as good as new, if you clean it and look after it the guard will last so it's money well spent.