PDA

View Full Version : Lump in throat!

missfoxC
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Explain!! It kinda feels like when you are about to cry and the throat tenses up... It's soooo annoying and I'm scared to death! I'm constantly clearing my throat tryin to get rid of it! It's like something hard is stuck right in the center of my throat! Now I feel like I can't breath!

freakingoutnow
08-21-2012, 08:18 PM
I have had this sensation before. Mine could of been caused by something called LPR and GERD. I also have GAD so maybe that's what caused it. I took Prilosec for awhile and it went away.

Tristanayoubi
08-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Its GERD (acid reflux)

dazza
08-22-2012, 01:12 AM
As unexpected as it may sound, your lump sensation is pretty much guaranteed to be a response to excess stomach acids (GERD) and/or stress.

Globus pharyngeus is the term applied to the sensation of a lump or discomfort in the throat. Basically it's a contraction of muscle in the throat which acts as a sphincter between mouth and stomach.
It prevents food and acid travelling back up from the tummy.

The same lump can be experienced when you are about to cry (strange but true!)

Diet, smoking, stress are main contributors. Anything that irritates the throat muscle can cause the contraction.

Coughing and continuous clearing / swollowing usually makes it worse.

JAS001
08-22-2012, 07:18 PM
Got the same problem. It's making me super Anxious. Is there anything to be done about it?

defmunel
08-22-2012, 07:45 PM
I had this happen to me before too. Took about 3 days for it to go away. Definitely cause by stress for me.