PDA

View Full Version : New Member

terry1953
08-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Hello. I have been dealing with agoraphobia since I was 6, I am now 51. Ive been on Alprazolam for 3 years and have done quite a bit. I have shopped alone, but mostly go with my husband, attended weddings/functions but theyve had to be within close proximity of me. I also suffer with the fear of vomiting (emetophobia) I am sure this is what brought on the agoraphobia. When I have to go somewhere, I feel I may get ill. :( The Alprazolam has helped me with OCD thoughts of this. I am about to start Lexapro at 2.5mg then after a few weeks going up to 5 mg.. Alprazolam is the 1st med Ive been on in my life. I can count on 1 hand the number of pain relievers I have taken in my lifetime. But there is so much I have missed (kids graduations, recent birth of my first grandchild) that I REALLY need to get well!!! I want to d so much more. I was wondering if anyone here has tried Lexapro and how it has worked to help your agoraphobia. Also, because of all this I cant be alone. My husband had to quit his kob to be with me. :( I am a bit better, hes been painting my parents home everyday 7 mins away and Ive been hadling this very well. Thank you, Terry

shoe
08-22-2005, 07:28 AM
Terry, it sounds like you've had a rough time of things :( Sorry its been so difficult, but at least you have made some achievement despite your illness. Those things you should be proud of, no matter how small they may seem to others. For an anxiety sufferer, every battle won is a huge thing!

I dont have any experience with lexapro, so I cant help you there. I know alprazolam and clonazepam have made big differences for me tho :)

terry1953
08-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Thank you for answering. So you are taking 2 benzo's? You've never tried an anti~depressant? The benzo keeps me calm, relaxed and has gotten me out of the house, but to go long distances I still can't do it, thats why Im hoping if there are any agoraphobics on here that take Lexapro I'd like to hear how its working out for them.

shoe
08-22-2005, 01:22 PM
sorry, didnt mean to confuse ya. I take clonazepam now, I used to take alprazolam but didnt like the way it sota put my mind in a 'fog' hehe. wasnt that bad, but I prefer clonazepam

As far as antidepressants go, I've taken paxil and effexor, both I've had bad reactions to unfortunately.

terry1953
08-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Mind if I ask what side effects you suffered with those meds? Ive heard horror stories about Paxil. Do you know anyone on Lexapro?

shoe
08-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Well with Paxil I was very fatigued, sleeping alot and not really up for doing anything. With Effexor, I was beyond fatigued - I was weak. Everything I did was physically draining. I could barely get around my apartment, it took a lot out of me. And my blood pressure also skyrocketed.

these are my own reactions, other people have faired better with these.

killingmeslowly
08-24-2005, 02:04 PM
hello terry,

"the fear of vomiting", for some strange reason i never even considered this a phobia but this is exactly what i have. my whole anxiety disorder is based around the fear of vomiting or whatever else may happen (i've vomited numerous times in public and once passed out.) simply put, the fear of fear is my problem.

i've tried paxil (an SSRI) and am now on Zoloft which enables me to sleep much better (i've always been a bad sleeper.) yet SSRI's do come with side effects such as weight gain and sexual problems (ie desire, mr floppy or 'clearing the custard' etc - yes, i'm disgusting aren't i?!!) SSRI medications are a bugger to withdraw from too and this itself has caused much hatred of this type of drug.

that said, i credit SSRI's with saving my life (honestly) and i truely believe i wouldn't be here today without them. i also take Xanax on the rare occasions i leave the house but this is also another serious drug.

missing those important events in life is a shame but i also feel you are doing well in getting out and about, so i'd personally recommend you don't seek Paxil etc unless things take a turn for the worse.

best wishes.