PDA

View Full Version : The Rule: Probability not possibilty

Mustremembertosmile
08-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Hello,
My sister-in-law recently gave me a piece of advice to help deal with my anxiety: Probability not possibility. Most of the time, I have found whenever I get anxious about something I am thinking possibility. For example, I hear about some rare eye infection that can make you lose your eye sight. Immediately I will start thinking that it is possible that I might get it and drive myself insane worrying. I found that if that I did my best to focus on probability not possibility it helped me immensely. It became ok it is possible that I could get this rare eye infection, however what is the probability? Have I ever heard of anyone getting it that I know? How rare is it? I dont know anyone that has the infection and it is a rare infection... the probability is low so its silly to worry about it, I have to let it go.

I found when i focused on thinking this way it was much easier for me to rationalize my thoughts into 'understandable worry' and 'insane anxiety thoughts'.

I hope this helps someone :) Remember PROBABILITY NOT POSSIBILITY!

Buttercup
08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Great advice! My therapist gave me similar advice in regards to "what if" situations. Like- is it possible I will freak out and collapse in public (yes) but is it probably going to happen (no). I tend to look at lots if things statistically as well and that helps- like statistically what are the chances of it happening (usually very very low) and somehow that makes me feel a bit better x