PDA

View Full Version : Restless Arms

DavidH1
08-12-2012, 03:32 PM
I was due at work tonight for a nightshift. I went to bed for an hour to try and get some sleep but felt restless. Managed to get half an hour but when I woke up my arms and legs were tingling like crazy.
After having a shower etc I knew anxiety was getting the better of me. I got in the car to drive to work but only got to the end of the street before my mind went crazy. I knew I couldnt drive 35 miles to work safely so I called in sick.
The tingling in my hands and feet is still driving me crazy. Ive been taking fluoxetine for 11 days and this sensation seems to be getting worse. The doctor did tell me it could take upto 6 weeks for the drug to start working properly. Any others had this experience?

Enduronman
08-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Hey DavidH1,

I wish I could say that I have had that experience but I can't. I'm sure that there are other on here that may be able to explain this effect but I've never been able to take anti-dep because regardless of the brand, type, company, for some reason my head instantly starts throbbing, headache, painful. Prozac as well as most others target the "inhibitions" of brain chemicals and structures. In general, you're experiencing all of the most commonly reported side effects of meds in this class of SSRI's. This is the most difficult time and that is when first beginning to administer the drug itself, as I stated that what you're experiencing is the most "frequently reported bundle of side effects" but that's about as far as my "general" knowledge of this goes.

I hope that some actual prozac users jump in here to offer something more useful to you as they'll be able to "empathize" with you as I can not. I do know however that from learned knowledge from others, books, reports, stats, yadda yadda that the side effects (usually) heighten to a point, stop, and then lower or level out to tlerable level for the patient. I personally was intolerent of "increasing the conditions' that the medications were supposed to alleviate so I would quit, and order the next alternate medication whereas others will hang on and let it ride until it passes bro, so this is really your call friend.

I also do believe that Eli Lilly nailed this one in development, is a great anti-dep overall for long term use as long as you hang on man. It is a good medication for its intended purpose but the road is bumpy for the first 2 to 3 weeks friend. If its heightening your anxiety to a point whereas (you can not go to work) then my suggestion would be to call the Dr. asap and tell him just that. Then add in if I am to "hang on tight" until this medication stops kickin my a** then I also NEED an anti-anxiety med to offset this initial onset period (so you can go to work,..STRESS THIS FACT TO HIM/HER)...Request anything with anti-anxiety effectiveness (other then Buspar, NO, decline that one) but accept anything he/she can offer..

Just some suggestions friend..

E-Man.

surfacing
08-13-2012, 03:49 AM
I've had stuff like that happen before.
Fluoxetine has some odd side effects - mostly when you're coming off it (tiny explosions in your head!). It is very likely just your body getting used to the prozac, which can do some pretty weird things. Please try not to worry about it in terms of health.

I would say though, that in my experience fluoxetine is not particularly helpful for anxiety because it kind of heightens your awareness in a way and gives you more energy and not necessarily in a good way. So do go back to your doctor and tell him how much these sensations are bothering you as it may not be worth it. Citalopram might be better.

dazza
08-13-2012, 05:07 AM
Typing from phone so bare with me...

I've had similar - without being on medication. Arms often feel weirdly nervous which i assume is adrenalin. Couple this with an anxious mind & you feel like a string-puppet on speed.

Quite an uncomfortable & freaky state of affairs but it doesn't last.