PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on how I can travel further

AnxietySincePreschool
08-11-2012, 10:45 AM
I had a panic attack a very very long while ago (years) whilst on a trip out and haven't been able to go further than around 20-30 miles since. I've always had agoraphobia but it gradually went away by gradually going further and further around the country, then after that awful episode everything was reset.

I plan on seeing someone about this soon, but I wanted to know if there is anything I could try on my own (similarly to like I did before), I want to be able to go to another major city nearby (that is my goal for now) but I feel very anxious even on the motorway and the motion of the vehicle doesn't help.

I have tried in my head breaking it down for example focusing on a point in the distance (not too far away) and imagining/saying to myself 'the journey ends there we'll be there soon and it will be fine, nothing to worry about' then once I'm at that point I focus on another point and do the same so the journey/distance from home just seems like a series of points which isn't too far away and doesn't feel unsafe, I also do the same with the time spent away (only thinking about the next 30 minutes or hour) instead although the 20-30 miles I speak of is already somewhat of a push, I was wondering if there are any tips of techniques you have personally used that I could try. ???

Enduronman
08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Hello.

1. Yer "overthinking" the whole event, plan, issue, tooooo muchhhh frommm theeee beginning...therefore INTENSIFYING it and making it seem more TERRIFYING then (a drive in a car should be)...
2. Go search into this forum of "mini novels" and find a posted thread about some suggestions for helping those people that struggle with just going into a store to get food. I can't remember what I titled it as it could be any number of TITLES...Take the suggestions within that thread and exchange the word "store" for the word "car"...Then make the plans at home, at your own pace..baby steps. I can't swim as fast as Michael Phelps until I learn how to eat 20,000 calories a day, and also get into a pool without fear of a shark attack!

Enduronman.