PDA

View Full Version : Online Forums and Anxiety

Bridgie
08-21-2005, 12:13 AM
I think participating in online forums is not helping any of us with anxiety disorders. Here I am talking away about my anxiety and have no problem with it! I find myself looking everyday for new forums to participate in, so I can have human interaction without panic attacks. I am a social butterfly who is afraid to fly anymore.

I think there is a lot of great information out here to share, like this forum, but I have to wonder if it is helping any of us to hide behind our computers? Talking about it online is great, but it is not forcing us into the real world to seek help, or to go out and see and be with real people.

So, maybe everybody just has to step away from their computers for a day and do something real! What do you think?

shoe
08-22-2005, 07:52 AM
I think this and other anxiety forums are good for helping people cope with their disorders and to discuss it and find ways and ideas that can help them overcome their anxiety. The 'getting out there' and overcoming anxiety ultimately falls upon the individual, but isn't it better to have some support and friends to fall back on, online or not? =)

It also helps having others who understand what you are going through. The world can be frustrating when noone understands why you can't do this or have difficulty doing that or why you have panic attacks etc. If you can find people offline that have the same problems, I would definitely encourage getting support that way. Unfortunately not everyone is ready to get out there yet, and also its not easy finding people closeby who have anxiety and are willing to meet.

So when you need some support, ideas for coping with and overcoming anxiety, and perhaps friendship along the way, an online forum can be a great thing =)

Bridgie
08-22-2005, 01:04 PM
You're right Shoe! I am able to function outside probably better than most. And I am sure it really helps people with this disorder to be able to talk to other people who can relate.

:)

Dahila
12-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Forums do not cure anxiety, but talking to others and getting inspiration and new ideas does help. I was so alone before I joined this forum.
I've met people who are like me, and they understand what I am going through....
Wake up Thread:)

quinny
12-29-2013, 02:46 PM
I cant talk to my mates about my panic attacks there like whats up with you pull your self together all that type of crap, its good to talk to people who are going through the same problems, help each other and all that its all good :) only joined today and love it cool group

Cullingford
12-29-2013, 03:05 PM
I agree with Dahila there is such a wealth of knowledge here. I'm only new here myself and before I joined this forum I had no one to talk to about this stuff. Im out there everyday working to pay the bills and feed my family. Its great to have you guys discuss it with at the end of the day and try and be there to support others who are struggling too. :)

Enduronman
12-29-2013, 03:44 PM
I have seen more successes here in a matter of days or weeks, then the members had reported working towards in friggin years prior to arriving here.. Huge strides, huge acheivements, huge advances in forward motion, of many many people here..

Yes, it is a greatly helpful and useful site, and tool, to help others dig themselves out of these hell holes that we're trapped in...

I will keep all other words that I wish to state about this thread, to myself...

The best support systems, I have ever found, are right here. Period...

E-Man..

BlessedMom
12-29-2013, 05:34 PM
I think everyone uses forums for different reasons or maybe a mixture of reasons..... ie: making "friends", sharing stories, commiserating, support, information etc. And MAYBE some people do use it as their only source of recreation, **shrugs shoulders**
it really doesn't matter, what does matter is that we all have a super cool place to come and share our worries, frustrations, and triumphs :)

Dweeb
12-29-2013, 05:51 PM
I think this forum is great. I suffer real bad with health anxiety and can now happily say because of this forum i am on the road to beating anxiety :D

jessed03
12-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Great work Dahila :D This thread is 9 years old!

Dahila
12-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I know, I looked at the dates, is it not great thread?

jessed03
12-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Yes Dahila! Very relevant too! This must have been one of the first threads on the forum

8-BitAlice
12-30-2013, 07:15 AM
I don't post much, I'm still kinda scared truth be told, but just reading through the threads helps. A lot of useful info' I just didn't know about.
I even posted this sober, thats a step forward just from reading other peoples posts and what-not. Wouldn't have dared do that just a few day's ago.
Forum good, drinking bad!. :)