PDA

View Full Version : Any way to ck Serotonin levels?

whatif
08-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Have a strange suspicion that I have high levels of Serotonin... Is there any way to ck that? I had mild Serotonin Syndrome effects after taking 1 Prozac pill and was told by ER dr never to take it again (about 15 yrs ago). Does Buspar raise Serotonin, like most other anti anxiety meds? I really do want to take a daily med b/c I'm sick of this anxiety roller coaster, but don't know which one (and dont have a whole lot of faith in drs... As they've given me MEDS in the past that effected heart arrhythmia, after I clearly told them I was hyper sensitive to anything effecting natl epinephrine... And a few other incidents). Just trying to be my own advocate here...

alankay
08-09-2012, 12:00 PM
No. They cannot measure level of neurotransmitters......................yet. The levels they would like would to measure would be between/inside neuron cells and as yet they can't "get in there" to measure. That's what complicates things. They have to resort to theories unlike Internal Medicine where many organs has distinct level of enzymes, etc, that they can measure to use to track diseases, develop drugs or treatmets, etc. They go largely by how you feel and act and that's the best they have. In the lab they can do various brain scans though but that's another story. Alankay

whatif
08-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the info alankay... Wonder why they almost always suggest anti depressants/anxiety MEDS for ALL anxiety patients... Meaning increasing serotonin levels? I mean, I'm NOT DEPRESSED, but I do suffer from anxiety... I think there's something really wrong w giving someone who's not depressed, an antidepressant?!?! Uggg what's the answer???