PDA

View Full Version : Body Rocking

raggamuffin
08-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Anyone find themselves doing this? There could be many reason for body rocking/swaying but i've read several places where people have posted their experiences in doing it. many people have done it for year upon year. It's comforting to the people who do it and can wind up almost trance like. However to those who haven't done it or possibly never heard of it, it probably sounds nuts.

Here's an interesting post on the subject:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Obsessive-Compulsive-Disorder-OCD-/Body-rocking/show/1045099

Could be OCD, ADHD, Autism or a whole host of other possibilities. I myself have done it since I was a kid for hour upon hour every day. I'm now 26 and it hasn't ever stopped apart from when I was living with gf's at the time. Even then i'd sway secretly whenever I was by myself.

Anyways just thought i'd post it here as i've never really announced it anywhere and I may even find some like minded souls somewhere out there.

Ed

dazza
08-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi Ed

I used to "rock" in bed and in chairs as a child (between age 5 and 8, roughly)

I recall doing this for comfort during times of being scared (like being left alone in the house for a while) or because of nightmares.
It would take my mind off things, basically.

Oddly, I inherited this. My father used to do the same.
In fact, he'd rock so hard in bed that the bed would often travel the length of his bedroom... lol

I guess there's some relationship between this and your ongoing rocking, in that you probably also do it as a distraction.

Meggieliz
08-08-2012, 04:32 PM
I do it too. Especially if I'm sitting on the floor and trying to pay attention to a movie or something on t.v. I feel like I have to rock in order to pay attention.

dazza
08-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Meg - interesting you do it in order to focus on TV.

If the theory of rocking for a distraction is correct, then where my rocking used to be for comfort (distracting me from nightmares or being scared), yours is perhaps to take your mind of the surroundings, enabling you to focus JUST on the TV.

Makes sense... but doesn't look good in front of your mates, huh? lol