PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety disorder sufferers and age

dazza
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Howdy-do!

It "seems" like most the posters on this forum are of a (often disturbingly) young age, some even claiming they had the condition in their junior years. Shocking & sad really.

Admittedly, I haven't researched the stats but, within the confines of this forum, I'm wondering...

How old is the oldest sufferer on here?

I'm inclined to think that anxiety is mostly affecting the younger, i.e. those who are exposed to high stresses from work, college, money, relationships, children, etc. and that once you get passed all this and hit the twilight years (say, 55 & over) - these stresses are less likely to be present, therefore anxiety less common.

Am I right?

Would the more senior members of this forum care to divulge their age? and perhaps comment on the above?

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Enduronman
08-03-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm 44. I've had a GAD since birth. Only kid that couldnt nap in Kindergarten. Straight A student until 7th grade, got a B+ from my science teacher, and then I ripped the world to shredds from that point forward. 3 sport athelete for 8 yrs, 30 years construction, 5 years heavy weightlifting, 3 kids, 1 grandson...=anxiety. LOL!

Enduronman.

freakingoutnow
08-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Hi, I had my first Panic Attack at 17 and have had problems with it on and off since. I am now 40 and it started getting bad again this year. I have about a year break from it all which was cool.

Enduronman
08-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Good to meet you both..Gotta kick anxiety in the arse if ya know what I mean friends.

E-Man.

jessy
08-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I had anxiety from age 4/5 years & I'm 32 still suffer

drksydeone
08-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Welcome to the club all. I had anxiety and depression since 16-17. I'm now 41. I've tried everything. I mean everything. I'm now working with a great cbt guy and have ditched the meds. It's been a struggle but I know short term pain will lead to long term gain. I'm really delving deep into the cbt. Can't say I'm 100% but I'm on my way. Have a lot of growing to do yet. Life is 10% what happens and 90% how we react to it. Glad to be a part of the forum.

zksmom
08-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Mine started at age 24. I'm 32 now. I've been alright for the past 7 years but I'm dealing with it again and its returned with a vengence.

Tristanayoubi
08-03-2012, 04:36 PM
I just started having them, I'm only 15 and a sophomore!

alankay
08-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Most often anxiety starts to manifest itself in significant ways in young adulthood(late teens and twenties). This is in general. As your anxiety "matures" you finally go to treatment and start to learn about anxiety, your situation, what meds can do for you, what education can do, calming skills, etc, and it time you get a much better "handle" on and it becomes chronic, lower anxiety. More controlled and understood but there. In general.
I'm 49 and guess most older patients kind of get to know all about anxiety, how to manage it, how to get working with a doc/therapist and are no longer in "crisis mode" like when you first started to wrestle with anxiety. That's my take on that. Just my thought. Alankay

Cindy38
08-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I am 38...have had GAD and panic attacks with phobias for 10 years now. But I was always a anxious child so I think i have had anxiety my whole life. It is horrible and really ruining my life.

pawlowski187
08-03-2012, 11:51 PM
I was 20 when I started having panic attacks, I'm almost 29.... They seem to come and go threw out the years... I have PTSD syndrome to , but I've been a worrier ever since I was 9?

dazza
08-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Alankay holds the lead at 49, closely followed by Enduronman at 44!

No-one over 50 here?

toto1234
08-04-2012, 07:12 AM
I too have always been a worrier and now 30 and feel like the GAD is ruining my life and my families. Why can't this go away!!!

tstont
08-04-2012, 07:37 AM
44 and still fighting anxiety issues. Had them for as long as I can remember. I have some good weeks and some very bad weeks. It doesn't take much to trigger the bad weeks unfortunately..

laurandisorder
08-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm 30 years old and have been fighting this since I was 26 - even though I have identified earlier isolated panos attacks.

Both of my parents - in their mid-late 50s have anxiety, but they aren't really tech savvy enough to use a forum like this.

Possibly a factor in the age of presentation on this forum.

Kalita
08-04-2012, 10:21 AM
My panic attacks started suddenly at the age of 27. I'm now 36. On my meds, seeing my psychologist, but still struggling to keep my anxiety under control.

drksydeone
08-04-2012, 11:51 AM
I can tell you why it's not going away. That's simply because you keep it alive. Trust me I know what your feeling anxiety and depression sucks. And the feelings that are associated with anxiety. Unless I'm being chased down by a tiger. This is a bad habit we have conditioned as part of our belief system. Guess what it no longer serves us. It's a coping mechanism we have grown to feel comfortable with. I know what your saying bullshit, but I say there is some kind of secondary gain we get from this. There is some great news though because this is nothing more than something we do to ourselves, like chasing the thoughts down, digging deeper holes, and beating ourselves up we can change these bad habits. It's hard work, breaking habits usually are and this is no different than breaking a bad habit. Our bad habit is how we think. Your probably saying bull this is me, this is how I am. Well if we hold onto this belief it will be hard to let go of those old shitty habits. Keep building new habits and better thinking habits. These beliefs we hold of ourselves are bullshit sometimes. Change the station your tuning into. Face your monster head on and keep challenging that monster. Stepping up and through that wall of fear may get you moving in the right direction. Great work all.

brittany09
08-05-2012, 10:17 AM
This is an interesting thread. Wondering if some actually develop it when their older,or most have had it since they are young? I hope my anxiety isn't bad when I'm older. I'm 21 and have had it since I was 18.

luckydog
08-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I am 35 and had my first panic attack during.the birth of my son
I could hear his monitor alarm that his heart was stopping. It was a very.traumatic event. I had a good ob/gyn..he saved my sons life.

dazza
08-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Thus far there has only been one mention of anxiety for the over fifties.

It could well be the case that many over 50's aren't computer literate & therefore won't be on this forum anyway... or perhaps they seek real world help rather than internet/virtual?

I've since read that GAD can develop at any age, but it's thought that for the elderly, it's most likely because of a real, prevailing illness (rather than falsely triggered by brain)

I'm not sure I believe that the elderly can suffer in the same way (I mean full on panic attacks + physical symptoms). I think for the over 70's and certainly 80's, a full-blown panic attack (with racing heart) would most likely be dangerous?

buckeyegirl
08-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi All, I am new to the site.

I started having anxiety issues at age 8 according to my mother (just found this out), when I moved overseas. I do not recall this, i must have blocked the hard stuff out. It is now resurfacing its ugly head, I am now 32.

indiana
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I am afraid he is not. I am 65 and probably the oldest on this forum. I have the impression anyway. Have had anxiety all my life (no panic attacks) but have come to a turning point.
That is how long it can take before you find somebody (or this forum) who finally tells you what it is all about.

Enduronman
08-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Indiana...I hope I make it to 65!!! YAY! :)

Enduronman...

Jan26
08-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum but not to anxiety. I am 55 and have had anxiety issues since I was 5. I remember throwing up everyday in kindergarten for nerves. I have social phobia, health anxiety and am a germaphobe. I worry about everything. I'm always thinking I have something wrong with me. I have just started on Buspar and it seems to help but I still get some panic attack issues once in awhile. I think I get everyone of the symptoms of anxiety but lately the worst is globus (tightening of the neck muscles) which makes me feel like I can't breath and fluttering of the heart. I'm thinking I really need to find a good therapist but don't have the time right now as I'm helping my daughter for the next year or so with my two new twin grand babies.

scow
08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
44 yo and anxiety still going strong. Started in elementary school. Once I start hitting serious medical problems to worry about - I may call it quits.

Velrose
08-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Oh, wouldn't it be a dream if all anxieties slipped away with age?

I'm 30--and have had panic attacks on and off for about 6 years. I've had obsessions since I was young though-- I can't even remember when those started.

dazza
08-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Jan

Re. your globas and heart fluttering (which I assume you mean heart palpitations?)

Have you been tested for GERD?

Any type of acid reflux (and gas) can cause both globas and heart palps.
I may be over simplifying - but perhaps regular antacids might help both these symptoms (if of course it is acid related)

dazza
08-06-2012, 03:32 PM
At 65, Indiana holds the gold medal as the most (known) senior member of this forum thus far!

How come you've only just come to a turning point, if you don't mind me asking?

miss_mac666
08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, I have been suffering with anxiety, depression, and panic disorder for 10 yrs now. Sadly I have been diagnosed with many more disorders such as PTSD, GAD, Emetophobia, Agoraphobia, Borderline Personality Disorder and anorexia. I am now 25 yrs old and just finding out ways to help myself and my disorders. This forum has helped me a lot. For the longest time I never knew what I was actually suffering from. And I am still learning more about my diagnoses. We can help each other :)

Claire

Jan26
08-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Dazza

I have had acid reflux problems for years and am on acid medication. I've only had the globus just the past couple of years so I really think its anxiety related and its much better since starting the Buspar, it only lasts for a few hours instead of a couple of weeks . As for the heart fluttering, it's a fluttering I feel in my chest/throat and if I feel my pulse at the same time I have a skipped beat. I had a 24 hour heart monitor which confirmed when I feel it I actually have an early beat which makes it feel like its skipping cause there is a pause when it gets back on track. It only happened 93 times in 24 hours so the doc attributed it to anxiety and nothing wrong with my heart. But it is scary and sends me into panic when it happens thus adding to my anxiety.

dmhunt112
08-07-2012, 11:37 AM
I am 47 and my anxiety has kept me home for the past 4 years. Used to manage chemical manufacturing plants in high stress atmosphere, Maybe it broke me, but I am having difficulties letting go of my work past, problems I had then. I am looking forward to the "twilight years" but not like this. I stay home with my poodle, very calm environment, but still can't get out of the house most days. I could easily become a pot head if the odor wasn't so offensive and of course illegal. Any good natural remedies to shy away from benzo's??

dazza
08-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Jan

Palps have been one of the main causes of my panic attacks. I can handle everything else but these still frighten me.
(Thankfully I'm getting better as each week passes and they are occuring less and less frequently)

I have noticed that my palps have occured immediately as my mind wonders off / has a stressful thought. They are totally mind-triggered!
They've occured at night as I lay in bed - thinking.
They've occured just after an argument with the missus.
They've occured at work as I take on another stressful job.

Try to stay consciously aware of what triggers them - you'll probably see a pattern. This in itself is quite reassuring since it reinforces the fact that
it's a state of mind and not body.

I've found beta-blockers help, as does cutting out caffeine and other energy sources.
The best cure of course is to stay calm and NOT let your mind wonder off to stress land.

misunderstood0412
08-08-2012, 04:06 AM
I am 25 and I am just now being diagnosed but its been a prohibitive factor my whole life.

michellmybell
08-08-2012, 07:36 AM
My name is Michelle, in 40 yrs old and have been suffering with anxiety for almost 13 years.

daisy84279
08-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I don't think my anxiety will ever completely go away, even as I age. I'm 28, and started to have anxiety symptoms and attacks when I went to college. But college was not what triggered the anxiety/depression. It's hard to get out of thought patterns when you have them for so long. And right now, I don't have insurance. So going to the doctor, therapy, counseling, and medication is not possible right now. But I feel like I'm always going to be this way. If I'm not stressing about one thing, it's going to be another. I just don't deal with life very well.

indiana
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
At 65, Indiana holds the gold medal as the most (known) senior member of this forum thus far!

How come you've only just come to a turning point, if you don't mind me asking?

Hej Dazza,
Finding this forum and coming across Claire Weekes books have been a turning point for me but I am a long way from being cured. For years I have read self help books, seen counsellors who wanted to put me on medication but I refused. It is not easy to find a "cure" for some people. I just want to enjoy life before I die. At the moment my body is one big tension, I am afraid of being sick, what other people think of me, afraid of people, afraid of making contact etc. It can hit you when you are 15 (mine started at 16) or when you are 50. Do I feel ridiculous among you young people? Yes I do but then I think what the f...... As long as it helps me. I do not want to give up otherwise I might as well die.
Indiana

whatif
08-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Panic attacks started at age 20... I'm now 42. Kept them under control until about 3 yrs ago. So glad to chat and hear about other victims of anxiety... Sucks to be us! Lol

raggamuffin
08-09-2012, 03:41 AM
I'm 26. Been experiencing major health anxiety, daily pains and anxiety for just over a year. CBT starts soon as even after 1 year i'm sick to the teeth of this warped mindset and daily pains and I wanna address this now and undo whatever damage all this needless worry and fretting has done to me.

Ed

laurandisorder
08-09-2012, 04:38 AM
I just remembered this. My Grandma - an octogenarian has what she calls 'funny turns'. Often precipitated by a new or unfamiliar experience (meeting new people, eating out at a new restaurant etc) and they show all the hallmarks of anxiety and panic attacks; heart racing, nausea, shakiness, trouble breathing, feeling faint.

She goes for a lie down and gets over it. She has other mental health problems, but refuses to acknowledge them/ doesn't understand them ('I went to the psychiatrist an he said I had Alzheimer's - how DARE he!')

As my Mum her sisters and I both have mental health issues including depression and anxiety, it makes me wonder; are our illnesses learned, congenital or a combination of both?? Hmmmm...

dazza
08-09-2012, 04:34 PM
> As my Mum her sisters and I both have mental health issues including depression and anxiety, it makes me wonder; are our illnesses learned, congenital or a combination of both?? Hmmmm...

I'd say you are likely to develop anxiety disorder if you possess certain characteristics or personality traits, so in a sense it would be congenital.

I think that typical characteristics of a person likely to develop anxiety disorder would be:

1. A natural worrier
2. A negative person
3. A shy person

If you have all 3 then there's little hope I reckon...

indiana
08-10-2012, 04:51 AM
> As my Mum her sisters and I both have mental health issues including depression and anxiety, it makes me wonder; are our illnesses learned, congenital or a combination of both?? Hmmmm...

I'd say you are likely to develop anxiety disorder if you possess certain characteristics or personality traits, so in a sense it would be congenital.

I think that typical characteristics of a person likely to develop anxiety disorder would be:

1. A natural worrier
2. A negative person
3. A shy person

If you have all 3 then there's little hope I reckon...

Thanks for the encouragement (for those who possess all three caracteristics). Not everybody is interested to know that they are having anxiety problems because of their personality.
Maybe it is better to keep quiet (on this forum) if what you are giving advice about is not positive. Old (age) widsom you know.
Indiana
PS Are you a psykologist?

dazza
08-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Apologies, but when I said "little hope", I meant the development of anxiety disorder.

For your info - I'm all 3, too... although I'm finding that they're all (slowly) subsiding with age.

Anyway, I think it's a very interesting point since it directly relates to anxiety - and the more we know, the better we are equipped to deal with it.

You gotta look at the bigger picture. If you have any of these traits then it could be said that these traits are somewhat to blame for the frickin' disorder in the first place?
If this is true, then the key to anxiety counter-action / inverse / cure ... could well lie in this fact.

E.g. If you were to face your fears that have plagued you so, then maybe you would erase this fear for good?
Do it for ALL the fears and maybe... just maybe you'd erase ALL fears and would thus be cured.

dazza
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
^ Actually, I think this IS the cure...

trinidiva
08-10-2012, 05:56 PM
I am 36 yrs old, and started experiencing issues with anxiety about 6 years ago, after having my 1st child. I think at that time, I was stressed at work, driving one and a half hours each way to work, etc....
Surprisingly, when I was pregnant with my second child, the anxiety symptoms went away... they came back with a vengeance about 8 months after having my second child. I would definitely say though, I have always been a type A personality, and a worrier.

dazza
08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
New-borns + stressy work + long distance driving is a potent mixture. Little wonder this had you quivvering in your ugg boots me old love.

I think we'll soon see a pattern here in terms of personality traits & anxiety disorders.
The natural worrying being the common denominator.

By the way... my father, although stubborn and all-too-quick to dismiss mental health as being a real issue, admits that during my mothers pregnancy of my sister (mum was 40, dad was 44) - he suffered major palpitations.
In fact, one time at work, he actually said to his work mates "I'm about to die... really... I'm about to die of heart failure"
(He's now 71)

What this ACTUALLY was, was a stint of anxiety disorder, which triggered palpitations due to worry of the forthcoming, unplanned 3rd child.

At the time it's difficult to impossible to relate the symptoms to anything other than health... but OH NO, this is your grey matter shitting itself, basically.

Sedigive
08-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I am 42 and have had anxiety for many years. However, they have gotten really bad over the past 5 years. Not quite sure at what age the attacks started but I have always been kind of restless. My Grandma would note that I was up before anyone else and I have always struggled to relax. I always feel like I have to be doing something.

kzac
08-13-2012, 03:07 AM
I was 24 when anxiety started i think i had post natal depression then i had some ads and was fine til last year after the birth of my daughter and i ended up having a breakdown now a year on im just dealing with GAD im 28.

surfacing
08-13-2012, 03:38 AM
I know you're not really interested in my age group, but I'm 25. Been undergoing treatment for 'severe anxiety' and major depressive episodes etc since 14. Definitely a painfully anxious child before that. Acute depression became a huge issue and they also said I had severe anxiety. Trying to get the system to notice me again now for a more in-depth diagnosis or treatment.