PDA

View Full Version : My husband passed out during a panic attack?!

Corey Eldridge
07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
My husband has had panic disorder since he was 9. He's 25 right now. It runs his life. The last 2 severe panic attacks he's had, he's passed out. He fell asleep. I immediately woke him up and he doesn't remember falling asleep. I know during a panic attack your blood pressure rises so it's technically difficult to pass out, but what if he doesn't breathe like he should? I don't know. I'm just worried about him! I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening?

dazza
07-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Hi

Passing out is not so common for anxiety sufferers but it can & does happen. It is most likely breathing related.

I assume he's been checked by the docs?
(I don't mean to alarm, but to be absolutely safe - he should get a brain scan)

Does he literally drop to the floor without warning? like going from a standing position to slumping on the floor?

Buttercup
07-31-2012, 01:27 AM
I agree with Dazza that it's best for him to see a doctor. The passing out/sleeping and not remembering sounds like it could be a form of epilepsy. It's probably not but best to be on the safe side. In my job I have worked with people who have varying forms of it and for some folk they have a seizure when they are extremely stressed and the majority I worked with did not have tonic clonic/grand mal seizures (falling to the ground, shaking etc), they tended to just drop to the ground and wake up after with no recollection of it happening.
Then again, passing out can happen with severe panic attacks especially when someone hyperventilates. Try not to worry and get him to the doc xx

Chiliphil1
07-31-2012, 05:45 AM
I agree with the above, always best to be safe!

With that said, my wife passes out with about 80% of her panic attacks because she hyperventalates she can't control her breathing and she just falls out, but she remembers the attack afterwords.

EmmaJ
07-31-2012, 06:18 AM
My husband has had panic disorder since he was 9. He's 25 right now. It runs his life. The last 2 severe panic attacks he's had, he's passed out. He fell asleep. I immediately woke him up and he doesn't remember falling asleep. I know during a panic attack your blood pressure rises so it's technically difficult to pass out, but what if he doesn't breathe like he should? I don't know. I'm just worried about him! I was just wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening?

Hi, I actually pass out incredibly often during panic attacks, in fact I passed out today.
Sometimes it's completely emotional, the reason for my fainting is because the stress of the attack becomes too much for my body to handle. Other times it's merely the fact that I hyperventerlate alot. Either way, a psychologist can find the issue after a few sessions. I haven't even needed to go on medication for it.
I hope everything works out

dazza
07-31-2012, 06:41 AM
> Hi, I actually pass out incredibly often during panic attacks, in fact I passed out today

> I haven't even needed to go on medication for it

Hi Emma

So - you pass out frequently yet you boast that you haven't even needed medication for it.

To be honest, if I was passing out regularly I'd be somewhat concerned that I may do myself some physical damage (e.g. whack my head) as I fall.
Passing out while in a dangerous situation (e.g. while driving) could be fatal.

Medication might actually prevent or help your attacks and thus would be a good thing in the short-to-medium term, or at least until your attacks are under some kinda control.

Might be worth consideration?

laurandisorder
07-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Totally agree with Dazza, Em!

I have passed out due to panic and hyperventilating. Fortunately it wasn't whilst I was driving - one of my common situations that will trigger an attack.

If you think you can get through the panic, or identify the danger point before you pass out without relying on meds, that's great.

However if you're passing out on a regular basis, I really hope you have had all your bloodwork done and are seeing a psychologist or doctor about your panic attacks!

It is not normal or common to pass out from panic attacks regularly, even when you are hyperventilating, so do ensure you rule everything and anything else out. Also on the occasion that I passed out, I remembered it happening - it wasn't like falling asleep and I and around really quickly, knowing that I had fainted.