PDA

View Full Version : Hearing my voice every time I talk

tft87
07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
So I've been diagnosed with GAD, and have dealt with various anxiety-related issues over the years. The on that's been bugging me for quite some time now is that every time I talk, I hear my own voice. I know everyone does, but it's like I'm way too focused on it. I think it's hyper self-consciousness. I'm always way too introverted in public. I've always been kind of shy and timid. But these days I hear my voice even when I'm talking to my parents. It even sounds different when talking to different people, it's so weird. I've heard my voice before on tape and don't really like it, but I know its normal and that most people don't like the sound of their own voice. It's driving me nuts, I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

raggamuffin
07-30-2012, 02:45 AM
Do you think your ears might be blocked by wax too? This might exacerbate the situation.

Ed

EMZ
07-30-2012, 02:59 AM
I would say you are too aware of yourself. I am also.

averiguar
07-30-2012, 07:20 AM
You could get some noise cancelling headphones and sing or talk along with the music that's playing. That way, even though you'd be talking aloud, you wouldn't "hear" your own voice. This solution to the problem actually won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1978, but nobody paid much attention.

tft87
07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Do you think your ears might be blocked by wax too? This might exacerbate the situation.

Ed

You could get some noise cancelling headphones and sing or talk along with the music that's playing. That way, even though you'd be talking aloud, you wouldn't "hear" your own voice. This solution to the problem actually won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1978, but nobody paid much attention.

Are you two serious? This forum is a joke.

dazza
07-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Hi

I think Ed and Averiguar have taken your situation literally in the sense that they are suggesting methods to change the way you hear.

Might work, but I think the issue is more of your focus.

If related to any known form of anxiety, I would say it is similar to "Health anxiety".
Folks with health anxiety tend to obessively focus on the various parts of their body which (irrationally) concern them.

E.g. Folk with heart anxiety tend to check their pulse, BP, etc. all too frequently.

Perhaps you have a similar issue, only yours is with your own voice.

You're right about MOST people not liking the sound of their own voice. I'm no exception! However, bear in mind that most play-back media will have distorted your voice somewhat - so most recordings are not very representative anyway.

You believe that people will judge you on the sound of your voice, right?
Well, our voice is certainly part of our personality, but it's the character that speaks the voice & the content which interests people - not the voice itself.

Smile while you talk and watch how people smile back.

Character, not sound is what matters.

jon mike
08-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Sounds like your obsessing with things. It'll probably move to something else soon without you even realising. This used to happen to me until I had cbt for a few reasons. Try not let it drag ya down. Just think, well if its there its there and you'll accept it and it Will stop. Good luck!

John24
08-03-2012, 11:11 AM
i have the same issue! Ever since people started saying i sounded gay as my voice to them sounded high pitched. Its not at all but people are cruel and i guess i let them get to me. my voice still bothers me to this day. i worry about how others percieve me or what people may think.

I used to go quiet if people made a comment about my voice but now i try and shrug it off. my voice is part of me. yes i wish it was deeper but what can i do?

Im a teacher and kids have called me mr sqweak before now but i soon put a stop to that.

still get anxious about it now though