PDA

View Full Version : I feel like I have no friends?

nick78hh
07-29-2012, 04:44 PM
I feel like I have no friends?

I'm 24 and had some financial trouble and had to move back home after losing my job. well on my days off i really dont do alot. all my friends are busy with their careers or have moved out of town or are married. i mean its hard to hang out if your friend is married. i just feel alone at times and like i have no friends. I live in a small town so it's hard to join up on activities and I don't drink so going to a bar is really kind of pointless. Most people will just think it's weird I don't drink

anyone else have this?

kayin
07-30-2012, 01:48 AM
I have this problem, I am also unemployed. My friends have moved on with their careers or families. I live in a big city, but it's still hard to meet friends as I have anxiety. It's difficult sometimes when you feel lonely eh? At least I find it so. Good luck in finding new friends and you can always come to the forums to talk to people.

salevietasia
08-24-2012, 10:46 AM
I have this problem, I am also unemployed. My friends have moved on with their careers or families. I live in a big city, but it's still hard to meet friends as I have anxiety.

AnxietySincePreschool
08-29-2012, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't bother expecting said married friends to be reliable or fun friends anymore. They will just become obsessed with their partners and families.

People bin you off once they have a boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife.

Honestly if I were you I would rather make friends with people who are also not married etc or are younger. I have no idea where you can meet them though, especially as a non drinker as everything in our culture with regards to socializing is centered around alcohol.

But what do I know - nothing.

allyml
08-30-2012, 01:40 AM
I don't drink either, but I live in NYC, so it's not a problem. There has to be something in your town to do? Maybe you can volunteer somewhere, that's a good way to get yourself out of the house, make yourself feel better and productive. And it's a good way to meet really nice people, bc jerks don't really volunteer for things.

mammoth
09-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm in a similar situation, although I am employed. I am 26 and I don't drink for several reasons. This has led me to distance myself from all of my old friends who are heavy drinkers. I feel lonely most of the time when I'm not at work or with family. It gets especially bad on weekends. You're not alone.

maranka
10-26-2012, 02:53 AM
I'm 41 and have no friends either. I too gave up drinking and going out and lost all of my friends because I no longer lived their type of lifestyle. Now I'm lonely and have no one. I've tried joining a gym, volunteering, etc but just can't find anyone with common interests. I feel no one likes me even though I've become a better person. So I gave up and do everything by myself. I just feel very isolated now. I suffer with depression and anxiety and people are so judgmental if me because of it.

littlelightning
10-28-2012, 08:56 AM
I too have a problem with being isolated, but I usually blame myself. I had to stop social drinking because I was pregnant and then of course drinking just isn't an option when they are little and you don't have a support system in place.

So, my solution was to offer to cook and entertain at another friend's house. I cooked and interacted with my friends, people played with my son, my friends got to have fun and have a few drinks. And, at the end of the night, I got to go home and let them continue to party as long as they wanted to. My friend is a 45-year old single father so he likes having someone invade his kitchen and everyone gathering at his house. It's a win-win-win.

Nightingale
10-28-2012, 10:00 PM
I've had the social anxiety issue too. I used to use tricks like finding one person you can go to and start a conversation. Pick someone, a question to get the conversation going and focus on keeping it going.

It's tough, but might work out. You have to take a chance to get the result. Be strong, you can do this.