PDA

View Full Version : Somniphobia (fear of sleep)

averiguar
07-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Does anybody here have this particular problem with somniphobia (fear of sleep)?
I recently fell back into a spate of it (having had it before and conquered it naturally).
Recently I got depressed and as a result ended up sleeping weird hours and throwing my circadian rhythm off, and that's an aggravating factor.
Now I'm having trouble just getting to sleep, because my mind won't let me rest, and I jerk myself back to awareness and get out of the bed every time I'm about to nod off. This goes on until I drop from exhaustion, then it starts all over again.... until such time that I can kill the "fear-beast" within me. Anybody else suffer similiar phobic type reactions against sleep?

luckydog
07-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Does anybody here have this particular problem with somniphobia (fear of sleep)?
I recently fell back into a spate of it (having had it before and conquered it naturally).
Recently I got depressed and as a result ended up sleeping weird hours and throwing my circadian rhythm off, and that's an aggravating factor.
Now I'm having trouble just getting to sleep, because my mind won't let me rest, and I jerk myself back to awareness and get out of the bed every time I'm about to nod off. This goes on until I drop from exhaustion, then it starts all over again.... until such time that I can kill the "fear-beast" within me. Anybody else suffer similiar phobic type reactions against sleep?

In 2000 I was diagnosed with a genetic heart disorder. It is controlled by medication, but I still worry about it. I feel a sort of fluttering in my chest when it gets out of hand. I'm scared to go to sleep, I'm fearful that I won't wake up. So I take melatonin and my fibromyalgia Med(which is extremely sedating) that's the only way I can sleep. I understand everything you said. Without my doctor's help I don't think I would get any rest.

hopeNfaith88
07-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Yes! I noticed during my anxiety flare ups im scared to sleep. I also jerk myself awake like u. Im scared of being asleep like not being mentally aware and im also worried i may not wake up. Its stupid lol but a very real fear. It causes racing thoughts for me. I can usually get over it eventually but for awhile i was sleeping 6am-12noon. I would toss and turn and finay pass out when the sun came up. It made me feel like crap all day. I always get over it since its only when my anxiety is bad. However on the bad days i drink a beer or two to fall asleep or take zzzquil (new kind of nyquil just for sleep). I noticed when im exhausted from being really physicay active, i go to bed without thinking about it. Wearig yourself out helps alot for it.

orangeribbons
07-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes!! I have the exact same thing. This forum helps so much because it lets me know that I'm not crazy (well, too crazy) because others are going through the same stuff. I will go weeks sleeping fine and then all of a sudden, I get the shit you're talking about; racing thoughts, an inability to clear my mind and then I just get angry at myself. Ugh.

averiguar
07-29-2012, 09:24 PM
You read my mind, orangeribbons. Its strangely comforting knowing that others are experiencing similiarly. I remember once reading a book that theorized that one of the reasons bird chirp is simply to hear another bird reply to it. It was called "phatic" communication. It drives away a lot of the suffering just to know you're there, each and every one of you above. Thank you for helping to communally alleviate the darkness. :)

bullyMeNever
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
you would benefit from heavy exercise like jogging that will tire you and you fall asleep naturally

averiguar
07-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I know but the stubborness of this anxiety-mind part of me makes me throw up a billion and one excuses NOT to heed your advice and do the exercises like I know I should. I usually run for two days until I drop unconscious, and in the meantime try and relax myself more and more each cycle until I can finally put an end to this. THE SOONER THE BETTER though! Damn :) Thanks for your advice. I'll do my utmost to overcome my stupidity and actually do some healthy exercise soon. :)

averiguar
07-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Good news! I took your advice and went for a walk for about 2 hours last night, and the benefits were immediate. I was so tired that it won out over my superanalytical brain and I surrendered at about 11pm to a sweet sweet slumber and woke up at 9am. :) Totally "cured". So if anyone else sees this post, HEED THE EXERCISE! It really works.

luckydog
07-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Congratulations! You did it. It's nice to hear of the success stories!

guapita 2488
07-31-2012, 11:51 PM
I know that amazing feeling when your
To tired to worry about sleep ..... The fear of sleep comes and goes for me .... I live working out its not problem for me to get up And go to the gym .... I just had a baby 8 months ago and u can't seem to find the energy ... Have trouble sleeping but I also don't have energy to get my ads to the gym .

Ebony742
04-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Hi I'm new and I was wondering if one of you would have advice on how to tell my parents about how I have somniphobia.
If any of you read my message Hi then you know the story, anyway please help.