PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D deficiency?

surfacing
07-28-2012, 03:28 AM
I've had a lot of back pain over the last few years and finally got thoroughly checked out for it. They couldn't find anything wrong except a severe vitamin D deficiency.

I was given some supplements for it, I ran out a while ago and have only just refilled my prescription but while I was taking them I imagined I felt a little bit better in terms of mood?

Wondered if anyone else has a vitamin D deficiency and if there is any correlation between that and depression/anxiety? I know it's quite common. (especially in the UK!)

Sarah x

dazza
07-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Ya know... I can't make my mind up about whether vitamins are a real issue or not.

In my desperate quest for relief, amongst other things - I've been religiously sucking on all kinds of vitamins to test the theories... including the much talked about Magnesium.

When all's said and done, I don't think they've had any impact on me personally... but that's probably because I don't need them and already have a balanced system.

It could be that others do have deficiencies or an excess, and in correcting this it has made some "general" improvements, but personally, I don't think it's the ultimate answer to anxiety. At least, not for most of us anyhow.

The correct way of going about it is:

1/ Get your levels measured
2/ If necessary, take action

It's not worth chomping on a bunch of pills if they're not actually doing anything... UNLESS of course they have a placebo or positive phsychological effect, in which case... if it works then why not.

If I was to say that eating bricks cured my anxiety, like lemmings - perhaps a bunch of people would try it, believe it and agree, lol
I.e. we're looking for that cure because we think it's a physical illness, which it is not... and in desperate hope we'll try almost anything.

Anxiety symptoms are a transient reaction to either one or a host of anxious (conscious or subliminal) thoughts and are not because we have a vitamin deficiency - in my opinion.

The key to success is putting our minds at rest / eliminating those fears that bug us so.

Having said that, if vitamins help suppress the PHYSICAL symptoms (which themselves can trigger further anxiety) then there may be some benefit.

surfacing
07-28-2012, 05:33 AM
I do actually have a deficiency, it's about half what it should be, and I know vit D is often related to happiness/mood at least in popular culture, so I wondered if there might be a comorbidity or higher instance of it among anxious people.

luckydog
07-28-2012, 09:47 AM
I've had a lot of back pain over the last few years and finally got thoroughly checked out for it. They couldn't find anything wrong except a severe vitamin D deficiency.

I was given some supplements for it, I ran out a while ago and have only just refilled my prescription but while I was taking them I imagined I felt a little bit better in terms of mood?

Wondered if anyone else has a vitamin D deficiency and if there is any correlation between that and depression/anxiety? I know it's quite common. (especially in the UK!)

Sarah x

Yes I have to take it once a week...50,000iu's....it can cause depression and muscle weakness. My rheumatologist discovered the deficiency. I don't think it has helped my anxiety though.