PDA

View Full Version : went to the doctor, it didnt go well

jakesmummy
02-18-2007, 05:02 AM
I went to the doctor about feeling so down and having so many panic attacks . He gave me a leaflet about panic attacks and basically told me to just relax.
Good advice but not very easy to follow.

I dont really know what to do know i jyst feel like things are just getting worse - i have a few days where i feel a bit better but then one evening i will go into a major panic which lasts hours and end up back at the start again.

sophie

Mark1886
02-18-2007, 07:03 AM
Hey,

Are you having palpitations at all? If you are, ask for beta blockers which will slow your heart and stop you focussing on it, therby easing the panic attacks. Also, do some research in your area and find out if there are any counselling services in your area. For some, you can be referred to by your GP, others you may have to pay for. If like me you work for a bank (or other large company) you may have access to a colleague support scheme which will have stress counselling given to you as a perk...the best part is the business foots the bill.

Personally, i see anti-depressants as the absolute last resort, purely because of the stigma attached and the fact that it is far easier just to pop a pill (which may have side-effects) than to look at your feelings and assess them i.e. dealing with the problem; counselling may help you to do this. Don't be scared of telling your GP what you need, after all, you pay his salary every month with taxes and NI contributions - he or she is there to serve you, not the other way around. Tell him exactly what you feel you need and demand he or she help you. Use drugs (with the possible exception of beta blockers) as a last resort.

Hope this helps.

Mark

TWOIFBYSEA
02-18-2007, 04:51 PM
Your title should be "went to doctor went great" !!

I'm not being sarcastic but man-- you went to the doc and step 1 is out of the way...theres nothing physically wrong with you.

Its in your head and just like it got in your head it can get out.

(yes EASIER SAID THAN DONE)

Cheer up brotha !!

I'm going through the same thing as you right now its not easy... and when you try to talk to family friends your burdening them or they look at you sideways.

I'm no expert...but maybe ask your doc for a consultation with a physciatrist (spelling) ..maybe talking to a someone might help a bit.

juliana
02-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi Sophie. I can relate to your frustration. Relaxing is so much easier said than done. What are we supposed to do? Soak in a bubble bath for the rest of our lives? ;)

When I first talked to my doctor many years ago about the anxiety I was feeling because of my BPPV symptoms, she told me to avoid stress. Well, I took her advice. I started avoiding every stressful situation and became severely agoraphobic for 3 years. That was not helpful!

When you're prone to anxiety attacks, relaxing is the hardest thing to do. If we knew how to relax, we would do it, wouldn't we? Problem would be solved!

I'm sorry your doctor wasn't more understanding. Sometimes you have to get tough with your doctor -- tell him/her that your anxiety is interfering with your life; you don't know HOW to relax and you need some help. Ask to be referred to a CBT therapist. A lot of doctors treat women with anxiety in a rather condescending way -- "There, there, dear. You're just an emotional girl. Buy yourself a pretty dress and relax. Everything will be fine." You and I both know that doesn't cut it, though. You need to stand up for yourself and demand some help. Good luck. Keep us posted.

juliana
02-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Mark, I'm glad beta-blockers are working well for you. I think they must be more commonly prescribed in the UK. Are you in the UK?

They're rarely used for anxiety here in North America because of their association with raising blood sugar and increasing the incidence of type-2 diabetes in people who use them.

A lot of us have anxiety that doesn't cause heart palpitations. Our anxiety symptoms run the gamut of physical symptoms.

There are lots of medications that are useful in the treatment of anxiety. I resisted meds for a long time, but I have had to resort to using them. I don't buy into the stigma attached to them because that same stigma is often applied to those seeking therapy as well. I don't want anyone to avoid seeking therapy because of fear of the stigma. There is a lack of understanding about emotional and psychological disorders among the general public. The more we talk openly about our problems, the more we fight that stigma.

I look at it this way. I don't think less of a person with a "physical" illness like MS or liver disease. The brain is just another organ in the body. Having an illness of the mind is not the fault of the sufferer any more than any other illness. So, don't buy into the stigma. Everyone has fears and everyone has physical reactions to fear. The way I explain my anxiety and panic attacks to people who have never experienced what I experience is -- imagine you had to face your biggest fear (spiders, heights, whatever) on a daily basis. Imagine you had to fight those fears and their physical manifestations constantly. The only difference between us and so-called "normal" people is that we have different fears; we get a fear response from things that others find mundane. So, screw the stigma. Anything that helps with this condition; anything that helps us get through this and live our lives with more ease is valid. We need to weigh all the pros and cons of the treatments and choose what works best for us.

Okay, my rant on STIGMA is over now. ;)

jitters
02-19-2007, 03:38 AM
He gave me a leaflet about panic attacks and basically told me to just relax.
Good advice but not very easy to follow.

Wow sounds like he really wanted to listen. I kind of get sick of peoples attitude towards anxiety. "Just relax and you'll be O.K." if it were that easy we could instantly cure every person who posted on this board. Instantly.

I agree that it is good to know what is wrong with you and to accept it. But you knew this before you went in so a little more help i.e. an SSRI or similar would of been helpful as a starting point to give you time to focus on your recovery without the symptoms.

Try CBT techniques, and Distraction.

I hope you feel better soon.

Stay Strong

Duncan

Mark1886
02-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Hey,

Yes i am in the uk and was prescribed the beta blockers. They work well for me, but to be honest, the anxiety is still there, just not as pronounced. As such, i am stopping taking them gradually. (I am doing the Linden Method and it seems to be working!)

juliana
02-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Mark, I've never heard of the Linden method. I'm so glad it's working for you. I'll have to look it up and check it out. I'm willing to try anything proactive! :D

Mark1886
02-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Hi,

For anyone who wants to try the Linden Method, go to lindenmethod website and have a look at it.

It is initially quite pricey $177 but there is a year long money back guarantee if it doesn't work and let's face it, if it was $1000 we would all pay if it rids us of the panic attacks and phobias etc. If you want, give it a go and see what happens...it's worth a shot, or at least i think so.

Mark

xanax
07-16-2007, 03:40 PM
funny that this is the first positive post i have heard regarding that Linden Method.
I have previously heard that its a not exactly a scam but essentially money for a bunch of simple rules or pillars as the linden method calls them. I have read several posts complaining how simple and obvious the information is that they felt ripped off. And of course i seen complaints of now being able to get their money back.
But if it worked for you then thats good. maybe you could tell is more about how it actually works???

Robbed
07-16-2007, 05:20 PM
I don't buy into the stigma attached to them because that same stigma is often applied to those seeking therapy as well. I don't want anyone to avoid seeking therapy because of fear of the stigma.

The way I see things, the 'stigma' attached to meds or therapy is irrelevant. Anyone who is a half decent human being is not going to think less of you if you are taking meds or going to therapy. The only problem here is that sometimes, you have no choice but to be around some crappy person you lve with or on the job who is just going to make your life miserable for it. But then again, these sorts are always goig to find something.

With this said, the REAL problems with meds and therapy are completely unrelated to any kind of stigma. With meds, there are side effects, withdrawal effects, and, often, just plain old lack of efficacy. My beef with meds is (1) the misery they can cause for those who are already not feeling well, and (2) the exploitation of those suffering. So as I tell everyoe, consider them a last resort rather than a first. And if your anxiety is not just crippling, you are pobably better off without them, as side effects can be worse than what you are trying to treat.

Therapy, from my experience, has a completely different problem - the general ineptitude of therapists. Simply put, they just don't seem to know what they are doing. Although some might be good, in most cases, you are just as well, if not better off just buying a self-help book and talking to a friend or family member. It's cheaper, too. And in some cases, therapy can worsen the situation. Although CBT can certainly be helpful, TRADITIONAL CBT is just not a good treatment for anxiety, and can indeed worsen it. So if you decide to pursue therapy, just keep in mind that there is a most excellent chance that you will have to see SEVERAL therapists before you stumble upon one who is any good. That is, unless you know someome who has seen a good therapist that they can recommend.

Foxfire
07-16-2007, 09:33 PM
I've actually also been surprised that the linden method hasn't been discussed more on this forum particularly seeing as the technique has seemed to be so effective for people. I looked into it initially but couldn't afford it (on my pitiful PhD scholarship). When I went deeper, I found that many people were saying that the Linden Method was taken directly from Claire Weekes' work and that her books were cheaper and easier to access. That's how I came across them and that's how I ended up beating my anxiety and panic.