PDA

View Full Version : pain oh pain and flipping out

natigirl513
07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
I have a pain under my left arm and its scaring. I'm. Thinkin heart attack or anything bad. Omg someone talk to me . Please. I'm gonna be on the chat. Ok. Hopefully someone comes. I don't want this is to escalate

jla1981
07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I had that too!! Is it a sharp pain or soreness? Mine comes and goes.....its very scary but im sure it's all anxiety/panic related. Im here if you need to talk. Dont know how the chat thing works as im new to this!

natigirl513
07-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the reply :) it made me feel better

jla1981
07-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Glad i could help! Freaked me out when i first started feeling it, too. Thought for sure i was having a heart attack. Its most likely just your mind tricking you...along with all the other symptoms its seems to bring. Its a terrible feeling and i hope it goes away soon :)

dazza
07-24-2012, 01:13 AM
It's nearly always the left arm that gets it... and under the arm/armpit is very common for anxiety sufferers.

Don't panic Mr Mannering! it's an adrenalin effect on the muscles and nerves in that vulnerable area.
What you are experiencing is a transient pain in response to a nervous or stressed, subliminal thought.

The cure? RELAX! take ya mind off it by way of distraction and it will fade away.
(Either that or get a close friend to slap you round the face with a wet fish)

raggamuffin
07-24-2012, 06:58 AM
I agree, it's a common problem. I've looked at no end of forums for anxiety sufferers and it's a common problem. As well as the adrenaline and "fight or flight" response I think a lot of us who get panic attacks and symptoms are often terrified it is our heart. Then a psychosomatic response kicks in and before we know it we regularly get symptoms that we read as a heart problem. I think our over-active imaginations are getting the better of us. Best to try and keep busy and engaged at all times as distraction often works wonders when we get a flare up of symptoms. But just like when people say "try not to worry" it's easier said than done fully engaging your mind in a hobby or task to keep the symptoms at bay. I felt a bit lightheaded the past few days and then of course I started thinking "oh not it's my heart" etc and before I knew it my jaw was aching and my left arm and shoulder was hurting. It's both amazing and firghtening what the human mind is capable of.

Ed