PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack peak

panicfrank
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Hello everyone, I recently registered here after lurking for a few months. You people here are great and supportive. I've been dealing with anxiety/panic for about 10 years. It's just recently gotten worse. My symptoms are chest pain, dizzy / lightheaded , short of breath. I've had my heart checked out an was told it was fine. I've ALWAYS been a worrywart and it seems to has climaxed into this disorder.
What I wanted to talk about was the climax of a panic attack. I know everyone is different. Personally , the worst feeling for me is when I feel like I'm gonna pass out. I really think that that symptom alone keeps my anxiety burning. I don't get it all the time but i'm always waiting for it. I guess my question is, does everyones panic attacks climax in this way (feeling like you WILL PASS OUT) or is that just my climax because I fear that the most? I hope I made sense. Lol.

panicfrank
07-20-2012, 01:42 PM
I've never passed out btw.

anxiousoutcast
07-20-2012, 01:44 PM
When I'm at the peak of a panic attack I almost pass out, get tunnel vision, can't really hear and my body tingles all over. I almost prefer to have a panic Attack than anxiety all the time because I feel my calmest afterwards. I hate the constant fear of anxiety and all the physical symptoms.

Chiliphil1
07-20-2012, 09:12 PM
I tend to get the pass out sensation before the peak, it is like a very strong wave of dizziness and that tends to start the peak.

I have really had a big difference in my attacks since I started talking myself through them, I dont seem to peak as hard now and generally they are over in a few seconds.

For me though, the peak of mine I just generally want to run, doesn't matter where, just away. I dont know why either, im not even a runner!

panicfrank
07-20-2012, 10:17 PM
What do u tell yourself that makes it not so bad? Positive self talk? What exactly, in your case?

Chiliphil1
07-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Simply talk myself through it. Something like this.

Oh, it feels like im having a panic attack, hmm wonder why thats happening.

Oh well, I guess im going to panic for a minute, it will be over quick, its not a big deal.

Sometimes I get mean with them lol!

Oh, a panic attack alright. What have you got panic? Nothing? Thats right, im having a panic attack, so what.

I know it seems dumb, and I feel dumb when I do it, and I feel dumb putting it on here, but it works, your word tracks may vary. I was told by a therapist a long time ago, a panic attack is like a roller coaster ride, you have to psych yourself up for it, think of the feeling of the attack coming as climbing the first big hill feel yourself going up and up, and you know when you hit the top thats when you get the big rush, so ride the attack up, go through the big rush and then have the cool down on the rest of the track.

Dont let the panic attack overtake you, stay on top of it so that you are in control and if you can master that, they are not so bad.

sharjen
07-21-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't think that's dumb at all- it gets you through it that's all anyone wants- next time I have one I'm going to try this

panicfrank
07-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Simply talk myself through it. Something like this.

Oh, it feels like im having a panic attack, hmm wonder why thats happening.

Oh well, I guess im going to panic for a minute, it will be over quick, its not a big deal.

Sometimes I get mean with them lol!

Oh, a panic attack alright. What have you got panic? Nothing? Thats right, im having a panic attack, so what.

I know it seems dumb, and I feel dumb when I do it, and I feel dumb putting it on here, but it works, your word tracks may vary. I was told by a therapist a long time ago, a panic attack is like a roller coaster ride, you have to psych yourself up for it, think of the feeling of the attack coming as climbing the first big hill feel yourself going up and up, and you know when you hit the top thats when you get the big rush, so ride the attack up, go through the big rush and then have the cool down on the rest of the track.

Dont let the panic attack overtake you, stay on top of it so that you are in control and if you can master that, they are not so bad.

Good advice. I try hard not to let panic control me ,but damn, the symptoms are HORRIBLE and VERY SCARY.
I had a stress test done and passed with flying colors, but I am convinced that I am having a heart attack when my symptoms kick in. I need to challenge my thoughts but always end up giving in to the sensations. So sad. I have a great uphill battle. : (