PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about feeling anxious in future situations

Ser9er
07-18-2012, 06:41 AM
The aspect of my anxiety that I'm trying to fix now is my tendency to feel anxious and worry about feeling anxious during future situations. I know that my brain is "programmed" to automatically feel a certain way (anxious/worried) about future situations ever since feeding into my anxiety before I knew how to deal with it. How should I approach this? Usually I just dismiss it as I know it's my anxiety and not think about the situation. This avoidance of thinking about future situations doesn't seem like the best way to reprogram my brain to no longer be afraid. I think it just makes my brain think it needs to still be afraid of these situations. What sort of thought processes do any of you use to make your brain not automatically jump to being afraid?

I realize I may not have worded this all too well haha, so if you don't understand I'll try to elaborate.

Ser9er
07-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Realization: Just talking to my girlfriend and she told me how she was feeling sick but I told her I wasn't worried about getting sick and that I didn't care. So I thought to myself, "How can I so easily not worry about certain things and yet my anxiety makes me worry so much?" I realized that I didn't care about the consequences. If I got sick I didn't care because I'd deal with it so worrying wasn't even an option. I'm going to apply this to my general anxiety and maybe this will help some of you as well. What would the consequence be in our situation? Feeling anxious or having a panic attack of course. This is generally what I worry about which causes my anxiety in the first place usually. Now I'm just going to say, "Hey if I feel anxious I'll deal with it then, but for the time being there's no need to worry about it."

whatif
07-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Sounds great... I'll try it! Good luck to you :)