PDA

View Full Version : Sound anxiety causing me major problems

Shush
07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Hello, first of all, I'm new on the forum, and am excited to have found somewhere to vent my frustrations!

I'm just wondering if my problem is a common one. Basically I work from home, and don't leave the flat very often. I'm constantly on guard listening to the footsteps of the people upstairs. I always feel they walk unnecessarily heavily and seem to spend hours upon hours pacing back and forth, and also seem to drop things on a regular basis causing me even more frustration. I'm constantly listening and racking my brain over what on Earth they are doing up there. Now, on top of this, by far the worst thing they do is run the washing machine at least 12 times a week. Not a day goes by without at least one load of washing.. I counted 4 cyles yesterday, and there are only 2 people living there! I'm now convinced they are running some sort of home laundrette business up there.. except I never see them leave carrying bundles of clothes!

Anyway, my point is not so much that they are inconsiderate neighbours, but that I feel I am over-reacting and allowing it to dominate my life. As I mentioned, I work from home, but lately I just don't get much done between my bouts of anxiety. I don't feel I can talk to them about it, as I have already repeatedly banged the ceiling at them am made myself into a bit of a laughing stock. I just wish I could block it out or find a way of ignoring it. My wife does get slightly annoyed, but I know she tries to keep me calm as I would only get worse if she indulges me in my anxiety.

We can't afford to move out so that's not an option, so I'm wondering if anybody else has been in a similar situation and found a way of dealing with it. I'd really appreciate any input!

alankay
07-17-2012, 06:27 PM
You might be just irritable and being in(and anxious?) so much makes that an easy target for your frustration. I'd get out more as it's not so healthy to be in all the time and see someone about your anxiety. Decrease it, decrease your base level of irritation and frustration. It(these scenarios) is a downside of apartment living to be sure. Alankay.

Shush
07-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks alankay. I agree completely, but I'm afraid there's not much I can do about going out. I work from home and can't afford to rent a work space. I also know it's more than me being irritable too as I've always had problems with sound. For example snoring drives me into an instant rage. The only peson I can bear to hear snoring from is my wife, and even then I do definitely get annoyed. I just wish I could learn to ignore sounds as when I try to bottle up the tension it just builds up and I explode in a rage again. I'm pretty sure I have some sort of hyper sensitivity issue.