PDA

View Full Version : Too hard on myself

I am not my brain
07-16-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm currently in a depressed mood. I was typing up a paper and noticed that my grammar was really, really bad. I got really down on myself because I take pride and value intelligence. When I saw the errors I was having thoughts like " your stupid", "these are mistakes a elementary school kid makes", "you'll never be intellectual ". Then I started to over analyze myself and was telling myself I had no talents, I wasn't good at anything and so on. I just got really deflated and started to question my life.

I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous, but I have always lacked in self esteem, and self confidence. My father always told me how stupid I was, and how I'd never be this, and never be that.

I would have these thoughts before, but over the last two years dealing with the anxiety it just seems like the thoughts and emotions are ten times worse.

I just don't know how to take it easy on myself, to be realistic about things, and not catastrophise over the most stupid things.

Sorry about my ramble, I just recognize this is not normal, and unhealthy.

bluesix
07-17-2012, 01:00 AM
That's the hardest thing. Knowing that you're upset about something trivial, but not being able to get over it anyway. Just realize that you are an intelligent person; you just start thinking too much and distract yourself or psych yourself out. You're intelligent to know those grammar mistakes. More importantly, you're intelligent enough to know that your feelings aren't you. I hope that helps a bit.

alankay
07-17-2012, 06:03 AM
We always read our own bad press and never give ourselves enough credit for the good. Chin up and take a step back to get a healthier prespective. Alankay