PDA

View Full Version : Anxious, Depressed... and now Friendless

bluesix
07-15-2012, 12:58 AM
So like many people here, I am struggling with both depression and generalized anxiety. And lately it has been worsening. But now my support system is falling apart. My friends have become terribly catty and don't like me anymore. And from what I understand, it is essentially groundless. Or petty at most. And while they didn't really know about my struggles, seeing them was a good distraction to make me feel better. But now I rarely am invited to hang out with them, and if I am it is because it is a big group thing. And I just feel so unwanted and I become so self conscious if I do go see them.
I do have my boyfriend who is also my best friend. He struggles to understand what I'm going through, but he is patient and really tries to help.

So now my problems are worse, and I have no friends. I feel bad for being a burden on my boyfriend all the time. But I guess I'm just looking for any advice or comments on my situation.

troy294
07-15-2012, 04:00 AM
I have been where u r . It wash and a group of 4 mates used to hang out , go clubbing etc then anxiety took over then I never felt like doing anything , then all of a sudden the invites went and I was stuck at home all the time . But i opened up and told my mates what was wrong . Now they understand

Amy1986
07-15-2012, 05:28 AM
I too lost just about every friend, labeled as crazy and mental by them.

clyde22
07-15-2012, 03:50 PM
This is very much like me too. I'm 22 and my anxiety started when I was about 14. When I was in my teens it did seem like my friends left me. But in reality they didn't. My therapist who I see told me this: "most people are egotistic". That is, most people are more concerned with themselves (how they look, sound, whatever) than they are of you. To me that's a relief.
Everyone always has friends. They may not be your age, like a lot of mine aren't, but they care about you. That seems to help me :-)

dazza
07-15-2012, 04:34 PM
> My friends have become terribly catty and don't like me anymore. And from what I understand, it is essentially groundless. Or petty at most.

Tell them to piss off then!

Seriously, you need to look up the definition of "FRIEND".
A true friend is someone who is always there, regardless. Sounds to me like yours aren't TRUE... and if they're gonna get catty over nothing, then who wants to hang about with such childish numpties anyway?

Go find some mature friends... you'll get far more value from them.

bluesix
07-17-2012, 12:56 AM
I just suppose it's easier said than done. I just wonder if it's girls being catty girls, or if I really can do better. Feeling lonely doesn't help much.

dazza
07-17-2012, 01:31 AM
The more you rely on friends... the more they let you down it seems.

I take people with a pinch of salt and will never put myself in a position where I rely on them, or they have to rely on me.

Be your own boss. Be comfortable, happy and independant - others will naturally gravitate toward you.