PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatrists?

chelc1225
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone, I have recently decided (with the suggestion of my gp) to seek help from a psychiatrist regarding my anxiety. Since I decided to do this it seems my anxiety is getting better, yet I have not actually seen a doctor yet. I have left messages for 3 different docs in the past 2 weeks and no one has returned my calls! Isn't this extremely unprofessional? I'm beginning to get really annoyed. Anyway, as someone who has never been in any type of therapy, I was wondering of anyone could share their experiences. Pros? Cons? Will it help? Thanks!
Chelsea

grubbii
07-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Chels -
I've gone to a few different ones over my life. Some may try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), some may try Psychoanalysis...the most important thing is you find one you can trust and be open with. And don't be afraid to switch if you feel like you are not making progress.

chugalug
07-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Hey everyone, I have recently decided (with the suggestion of my gp) to seek help from a psychiatrist regarding my anxiety. Since I decided to do this it seems my anxiety is getting better, yet I have not actually seen a doctor yet. I have left messages for 3 different docs in the past 2 weeks and no one has returned my calls! Isn't this extremely unprofessional? I'm beginning to get really annoyed. Anyway, as someone who has never been in any type of therapy, I was wondering of anyone could share their experiences. Pros? Cons? Will it help? Thanks!
Chelsea

Hello, I got my psychiatrist appointment through my gp. Perhaps you could ask your gp to refer you to one, it will be more convenient this way :). It took me almost a week to secure an appt.

chelc1225
07-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Right now I'm hoping one of them will at least return my call! Thanks for the info. I spoke with a psychologist that does cbt but she doesnt take insurance so I didn't make an appt. this is getting frustrating