PDA

View Full Version : long term anxiety attacks

chloeluver
02-12-2007, 06:07 PM
How long are anxiety attacks supposed to last? I've been having one for over a day now, and it's very scary.

V for Victor
02-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Well, there's no rule for how long an attack should last. Some last minutes, some last hours.

It's not a good idea to just sit around and wait for it to go away on its own. I had to learn that.

You need to try and refocus on something enjoyable, and stop thinking about anxiety.

jitters
02-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Its true the anxiety attack will not go away while you worry about it (obviously). They can last between a few minutes and a an hour but many panic attacks can meld into one lasting long lengths of time. Sometimes the anxiety we feel is not an attack but rather our bodies long term resonse to these feelings of anxiety, as in GAD.

Try distracting your self, Watch a movie, read a book, go on the internet, play a sport, go for a walk. This should help take your mind off things.

Duncan

chloeluver
02-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Thank you all very much. Unfortunately, nothing seems to be distracting me. I feel like everything I do just makes me more nervous. I kind of wish I could just be knocked out.

jitters
02-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Arent you the arkward hmmm.... Start by focusing on your breathing two seconds in four seconds out this will calm your breathing and ultimatly your heart rate.

Then move on to some tension relaxation techniques. First tense your toes scrunching them under hold for four seconds then release. Then tense the soles of your feet hold and relax conitnue like this working up the body one muscle group at a time to your head, this will help relieve tension.

Than focus on your thoughts with your eyes closed try to imagine the most calming environment you can, A sunny day by a stream in the countryside a cool wind blowing on your face the sounds of the country, the wind in the trees, the stream and the birds. Imagine walking down a path beside the stream, notice the sun as it breaks through the canopy of the trees above. Enjoy the simplicity of this place of nature. Its beauty.

This visualisation techinique uses the very imagination which creates the anxiety to relive it.

These techniques are tried and tested and could help, I hope they do.

Stay Strong.

Duncan