PDA

View Full Version : gabapentin for anxiety?

crystalrose1985
07-11-2012, 08:45 PM
So I had taken gabapentin for a back problem and sleep and quit taking it, but yesterday I met with my therapist about how .5 mg of alprazolam isint touching my anxiety and panic issues and she wants me to start a new everyday Med and I'm scared to. But she did mention that she was glad I was taking gabapentin because it can help with my issues....my question is, is there anyone that has taken gabapentin and maybe the alprazolam and it worked to help subside your panic??? I've been going "crazy" with serious manic panic and anxiety lately and I'm going wacky trying to figure out solutions for it without a daily.....the thought of a daily really gives me more anxiety and the thing is, is that like 99% of them seem to cause weigh gain and I can't have that...I'm dieting now with excersize because I need to have hip surgery and the surgon said that basically I'm way to big for the surgery :-( well I am almost there if I am not already and realllllly cannot afford weight gain. I've been out of work over 6 months with this work related injury and I seriously need to get back to working! !!! Thanks for listening and any feed back is greatly appreciated! !

alankay
07-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Yes. These meds work on the Neurotransmitter GABA as does benzos(all of them). Your benzo might not be working at that dose due to some cross tolerance between these meds(they are similar....NOT the same). I'd ask about this and going a touch higher on the alprazolam.
These days a very simliar med is tried in Europe for General Anxiety(Lyrica) with pretty good results. Could be cross tolerance has made you system just a litle less sensitive to benzos. They still should work though! Alankay