PDA

View Full Version : Driving

anxiety0209
07-10-2012, 12:16 PM
I've been having horrible panic attacks when I drive. I use to get in my car and drive just to relax. Now the thought of driving makes me so anxious! Does anyone out there have this same fear or can give me some coping skills for driving.

whit8801
07-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Im kinda the same way now that im going through this. Try to eat like pretzels or crackers to help calm you down. I did that when I was driving. oh, and cold ice water. O hope this help.

Wanda
07-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I had that for my first time a couple weeks ago. A friend of mine who also deals with anxiety told me to listen to Cosmo radio. Haha I know talk radio seems boring but it does help to keep your mind off of things and it's hilarious too. :)

Meggieliz
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I have freak-outs while I'm driving by myself, so I chew a strong minty gum. Helps to eas the tension and get my mind off of the panic a bit.

Snowdog
07-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Try a lavender sent in the car, lavender is a good calming aroma.

AceParadox
07-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm always kinda of weary about driving. Only because when I first got my license at 16, I couldn't afford insurance. They all wanted to charge me $250-350 a month which is WAY too much. At 16 I was only making $6.50 an hour working at Chuck E. Cheese, barely getting any hours. I could hardly afford the gas. So ever since then, I've always driven without insurance, so I had to be REALLY careful, and NEVER drive far, only around my town. So I'm 20 years old with no freeway, highway, or intercity driving experience. My insurance rates should be lower now, so once I get find another job here I'll be able to get out and work on that, but for now I'll always be scared driving. Which sucks. I, like every kid, dreamed of driving and couldn't wait to get their license.

MainerMikeBrown
07-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I've driven many miles with my vehicles in the past. However, about six months ago, I started getting spooked a little when driving over 55 mph on the highway. Mabye I got used to driving on small roads where I only had to drive 55 mph's or less. So when I'd have to go 65 mph on the highway, I wasn't used to it.

The good news is that I told myself over and over that I was safe on highways, and it worked.

orachahalion
07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
reason why i never got a drivers license, silly me.