PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of developing an allergy & dying

Ashley StAmour
07-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Hey everyone! Im new here! Im 23 & a mother of two beautiful boys!

For the past 2 weeks, I have been terrified of developing a server allergy to all the foods i eat EVERYDAY!! I was talking with a friend of mine a few weeks ago and she said one day she randomly developed a cheese allergy and her throat got really tight. and ever since then im terrified!! I barely eat. I weigh 110lbs right now, i havent weighed my self recently but im sure im less than that now. I only eat hot dogs, chicken taquitos and crackers. I wont eat anything with egg, cheese, or milk in it. Im terrified im going to have a severe reaction and have my throat swell up and I'll die.

Can anyone help me??! My husband is thankfully being very understanding but I know he is getting frustrated. I know this is all in my head and I did just last week start counseling. But im starving. But I still cant get myself to eat anything I used to eat everyday! Help please!!

**I have NEVER been allergic to anything in my life!!**

sharjen
07-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Oh my
I suffer the same thing and every time I itch after eating its driving me to distraction !! I just don't want to eat- doc hasn't got a clue- I'm scared stiff of anaphelectic shock scared bloody stiff! Can't get it out of my head

Ashley StAmour
07-10-2012, 10:50 AM
omg me too! What did you do? do you still eat all the foods you normally do?

bhamlaxy
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm sure you already know this, but the chance is nonexistant that this will happen to you. Randomly getting an allergy like this is so ridiculously unlikely that you should not let it interfere with what you eat. And even in the 1 in a trillion chance you do, you wouldn't die. Kids who are allergic to stuff like peanuts interact with it all the time, they just get a shot and get better.

But I understand it's natural to have crazy anxious thoughts like this when you have anxiety issues. Just try and put how crazy it is into perspective. Sometimes I'll imagine my fears as a headline in a newspaper- "Woman develops cheese allergy after having no issues ever, instantly dies!" It makes me laugh at how crazy it is and how something like that would be so weird and random that it would be in the newspaper, but you would never see that!

But I totally understand your fear of allergies. I have been on Lexapro for awhile, and after having no issues at all with allergies I started getting hives on my hands. A google search showed it happens to some people on the medicine, and for some it spirals out of control into serious rash problems. A few days later my eyes got EXTREMELY puffy, and I started freaking out, thinking my throat would close up. What happened? Nothing! It went away in a few days. My hands get itchy maybe once a week, and there was one day where my hands got really puffy. But it hasn't been bad at all.

Just work on it- fight those irrational thoughts. You are NOT going to randomly develop an allergy. You have no prior allergies. It ain't gonna happen. Buy some benadryl just to give you peace of mind. If something did happen, it can help. But honestly in a worst case scenario it would just feel like you ran and are trying to catch your breath, and then they stick you with an epipen and you are all better.

sharjen
07-10-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm sure you already know this, but the chance is nonexistant that this will happen to you. Randomly getting an allergy like this is so ridiculously unlikely that you should not let it interfere with what you eat. And even in the 1 in a trillion chance you do, you wouldn't die. Kids who are allergic to stuff like peanuts interact with it all the time, they just get a shot and get better.

But I understand it's natural to have crazy anxious thoughts like this when you have anxiety issues. Just try and put how crazy it is into perspective. Sometimes I'll imagine my fears as a headline in a newspaper- "Woman develops cheese allergy after having no issues ever, instantly dies!" It makes me laugh at how crazy it is and how something like that would be so weird and random that it would be in the newspaper, but you would never see that!

But I totally understand your fear of allergies. I have been on Lexapro for awhile, and after having no issues at all with allergies I started getting hives on my hands. A google search showed it happens to some people on the medicine, and for some it spirals out of control into serious rash problems. A few days later my eyes got EXTREMELY puffy, and I started freaking out, thinking my throat would close up. What happened? Nothing! It went away in a few days. My hands get itchy maybe once a week, and there was one day where my hands got really puffy. But it hasn't been bad at all.

Just work on it- fight those irrational thoughts. You are NOT going to randomly develop an allergy. You have no prior allergies. It ain't gonna happen. Buy some benadryl just to give you peace of mind. If something did happen, it can help. But honestly in a worst case scenario it would just feel like you ran and are trying to catch your breath, and then they stick you with an epipen and you are all better.

Yeah I know what you mean and I've told the doc - look I'm 44 and never had a food allergy in my life what the hells going on and they say it's possible- it drives me nuts- antihistermines make my skin burn so I won't take them all this anxiety has made me so sensitive it's rediculous

sharjen
07-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Oh my
I suffer the same thing and every time I itch after eating its driving me to distraction !! I just don't want to eat- doc hasn't got a clue- I'm scared stiff of anaphelectic shock scared bloody stiff! Can't get it out of my head

I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic since then it's been downhill- I ate a kiwi and was told it was oral allergy syndrome- now I itch with everything I eat- so all day I don't eat- and at night my husband force feeds me- I won't touch raw fruit or veg because that links with the oral syndrome and I won't eat bread as the worst itching I had was with toast!! Absolutely petrified of anaphelectic shock n I've read EVERYTHING about it- agreed with our friend here it's rare but not impossible and knowing my luck it'd just be my luck.how do u cope Ashley??

ivanas757
07-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Bhamlaxy that is extremely helpful. I do this at times for no reason. I mean I have never had an allergy to any food and recently I itch and I don't know.what its from but I convince.myself its going to going to.make my throat close up. And I begin to panic over it. But it is great to know it is extremely rare. I carry a BENADRYL just in case. And I know that if it happends it will happen instantly. Like i won't swell from something I ate 2 hours ago. Also I had to tell myself a rash or itching on the outside has nothing to do.with the inside. I have become better over time just seeing nothing come from the itching.