PDA

View Full Version : Tmj

HeatherD3584
07-03-2012, 01:50 AM
Do any of you suffer from or know anything about TMJ? I'm afraid to start looking up info but would like to know more. My face hurts so badly.

Chiliphil1
07-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I was suspicious that I had that ad well, I may or may not, im not sure.

Tmj is basically irritation and pain in the joint where your upper and lower jaws connect. From what I have read it can cause facial pain, back pain, neck, chest, and on and on.

It seems that its really a harmless issue and is treated with nsaids, but from what I gather there is no danger associated with it.

bhamlaxy
07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Every time I see a thread asking "Do I have X illness/condition" my immediate response is always "it's just anxiety".

It could easily cause symptoms like this. When you are all hopped up on adrenaline and not using it (your body gets you ready for fight/flight) then you can get muscle tension, chest pains etc.

Buttercup
07-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I have TMJ and it used to cause me a lot of pain. My dentist made a splint/mouth guard to wear at night and that relieves the symptoms.

HeatherD3584
07-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Thank you...I made a dentist appointment to ease my fears. It's seems as if every time I see a doctor and they tell me in fine that my symptoms go away so I'm trying to chalk it up to anxiety. It also started hurting because I keep grabbing and touching my jaw. It seems the bone is higher more bumpy on one side. The bone below my ear. I hope it's not a tumor. My lips also hurt. I keep biting them out of anxiety. I'm just scared its more serious than tension. I'm going to make an effort to stop feeling along my jawline today. I'm not a doctor and I don't know anatomy, so I have no idea what I'm looking for.

bhamlaxy
07-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Thank you...I made a dentist appointment to ease my fears. It's seems as if every time I see a doctor and they tell me in fine that my symptoms go away so I'm trying to chalk it up to anxiety. It also started hurting because I keep grabbing and touching my jaw. It seems the bone is higher more bumpy on one side. The bone below my ear. I hope it's not a tumor. My lips also hurt. I keep biting them out of anxiety. I'm just scared its more serious than tension. I'm going to make an effort to stop feeling along my jawline today. I'm not a doctor and I don't know anatomy, so I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Stop trying to diagnose yourself. Touching your jaw, biting your lips etc. will just add to it. If you get a weird pain in your jaw, just tell yourself "If it's still there in 5 days I'll talk to a doctor. Until then I WILL NOT THINK ABOUT IT".

You do NOT have a "jaw tumor" or anything more serious. 100% most definitely not. Actually more like 200% definitely not.