PDA

View Full Version : DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY QUICK TECHNIQUES FOR CALMING DOWN

LYNDSAY
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
i need some techniques for calming down in the middle of a anxiety attack, i dont want to run, feel like it, but i dont!~!!

help please

V for Victor
02-08-2007, 03:32 PM
Breath in deeply, while counting slowly to four. Then hold your breath for four more seconds. Relax yourself, and slowly exhale while counting to four. Count to four more seconds before breathing in again.

That is something my doctor taught me, and it always helps me to relax. :)

LYNDSAY
02-08-2007, 03:47 PM
well thank you Victor, i really appreciate it !, if you have any more please let me know:):)

thanks again
lyndsay

scatmantom
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi Lyndsay

Try a Relaxation CD. You should be able to find 1 in a record store or on amazon or somewhere like that. They often have calming exercises on the CD and u can stick it on whenever ur having a hard time.

Music_lover
02-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Hey. Some of the things I do to calm down are:

1.)Look around the room and think about what is going on and that nothign has changed. That everything is fine.

2.)Lean back in a chair breathe in through my nose slowly and out my mouth fast.

and

3.)I draw this spiral and I write about I feel at that moment and the moment before that till I get to a moment before it all started. Then I go back and cross out all the things that aren't happening, going to happen, and that are not real.

Hope this helps you some.

-Holly

LYNDSAY
02-08-2007, 04:27 PM
thanks you im really trying to find stuff that helps you relax in the middle of an attack when you cant turn the cd player on and you are in front of someone ......

i hate dealing with this....:(

lyns

Music_lover
02-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Aw, I know. I hate it too. It gets to me, and probably everyone else. But I guess we aren't supposed to let it get us down. We can make it easier on ourselves. Good luck with finding those CD's. Oh, maybe if you have an IPOD or a MP3 player, you could put the relazing music on them and play it on low and still talk to peoplewhile hearing the music?

LYNDSAY
02-08-2007, 04:39 PM
thanks holly,

its all appreciated:) if you have more or wanna chat message me:)

LYNDSAY
02-08-2007, 04:44 PM
see its the lady i work for i go to her house and she leaves about 15 minutes later, then we go to my house ......but the other day i had a major anxiety attack before she left and i hope she didnt notice.....

MissPriss84
02-08-2007, 08:27 PM
To be honest, letting out a good cry helps me alot.

When I get extremely anxious I start to cry, about death or whatever issue I have going on in my head, then I start to feel better.

May sound weird I know but hey, i'm weird :)

jitters
02-09-2007, 02:18 AM
The best techniques I have found are:

1. Breathing Techniques - of which the simplest and least embarassing is to breathe in to the count of 2 and out to the count of four. This seem difficult at first but it prevents you from being able to hyperventillate. Remember to use a word of some sort to time the seconds ie. one missisipi two missisipi.

2. Tension and Release - Try tensing each of your muscle groups starting with your toes and working your way up. Hold the tension for four seconds then release. This helps to relieve tension caused by anxiety and to keep your mind of the causes

3. Distraction Techniques - Exactly what it says on the tin. Distract your self by any means, talk to a friend about everyday stuff, play on a computer game, listen to music, count the cracks in the ceiling, exercise, paint... well you get the idea.

4. Positive Self Talk - This is telling yourself either in your head or out loud postive things. i.e. This is just anxiety it will pass, I am not going to die this is just anxiety, What do I care about these things life is too short etc.

Well thats all I got off the top of my head, there is information on all these different techniques on the interweb.

Good post.

Duncan

emz_1986
02-14-2007, 09:05 AM
distraction helps me.

and having a cry also helps

Angel
02-15-2007, 05:32 AM
I like it almost pitchblack in my room, and a really really good cd...nothing up, usually downtempo.

And I lay down in my bed, or if i kant lay down, i sit up. with a pillow leaning against something, but get relaxed. And just breathe...sometimes forcing yourself to breathe deeply, kan feel like trouble in itself, so four kounts in and out, kan either seem like too much or too little, but you should know what normal breathing is like, so just go by what you think is best....and im not talking about three breathes per sekond either..haha, slow down.

but always keep in mind that everything is kool. Everything is like the way it was a little while ago.

PanickyLu
02-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I find if I'm sitting then getting up and just having a stroll around the room is good... it's also about distraction. I usually shake out all my tension as well, rolling my shoulders (my shoulders I always so tense!... :x ) wiggling my fingers... sounds weird but it works for me usually! :)

Iamlongsuffering
02-20-2007, 04:56 PM
It is almost impossible for me to cry because of the meds I guess. I have started alot of positive self talk and prayer, it is the first think ever that seems to be working so far.