PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been labled as a drug seeker or accused of drug seeking behavior?

Yanni
06-30-2012, 05:37 PM
I never have... to my face. I've been really worried about that this year because of the amount of drugs for which I have RX. Tylenol + Codeine, Xanax (no longer active), BuSpar, Celexa, Prozac(no longer active), 5 separate anti biotic perscriptions for various ear and sinus infections.
I always feel worried about asking my doctor for drugs as if she'll label me as a drug seeker.
Keep in mind, she always suggests the drugs and I have never been called a drug seeker, just been worried about it.

Buttercup
07-01-2012, 07:35 AM
You don't have anything to worry about. As you said, your doctor made the decision to prescribe the medication and they are all drugs that you need for various conditions. I see my doc regularly to get my repeat prescriptions and he has never called me a drug seeker and he never would as the meds I get I need.

laurandisorder
07-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I feel a bit anxious about getting each Valium script... I have been on it for 6 months now and I'm weaning off very slowly. I'm down to 2.5mg daily, with an extra 5mg here or there in extreme circumstances.

Feels a bit like I'm crawling out of my skin. I get the anxiety jitters at a certain time each evening. But the worst part is that I have a total of two 5mg tablets left before I fly (phobia) and I can't get into my psych. to get more unless he gets a cancellation.

I'll have to call and pick up a prescription, but I always feel bad about asking because I have never had to wean off Valium this slowly! In my previous bouts of severe anxiety, my treatment lasted about 3-4 months max and I had no rebound anxiety coming off them.

I guess I'm more scared of getting turned down than being accused of 'drug seeking'...

hopeNfaith88
07-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Usually i dont have a problem with this, but once a CVS pharmacy filled my script of 60 xanax 2mg. 17 pills were missing. I went back to the counter and they treated me like a drug addict. Even the general manager acted like I was inconvienencing them. He said "well now ive got to spend an hour checking the cameras and open an investigation, when our inventory checks out good and we dont have 17 more pills than we are supposed to have" and i said "well of course u dont because more than likely someone pocketed them". Anyway i explained it to my dr and everything was fixed. But i hated feeling like a drug addict criminal so i definitely complained to the corporate office. I still fill at the same cvs too but i count them out in front of the pharmacist before i leave.

Pain killers are a whole other story. When i was hooked on oxycodone and filled it every month, the pharmacy talked and looked at me like i was a drug addict. But then again i was. So i guess i cant complain lol. But in florida, you are looked down on if you fill a narcotic pain killer monthly because they just know how many bad docs are in fl

Yanni
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
I had a tooth removed a few years ago and was given Tramadol for the pain. The pharmacy my mother filled the perscription with was a local place. It took them 2 days to get the Tramadol, then 7 of my 30 pills were missing. Turns out, some high school was stealing a bunch of narcotics from people. We switched to Rite Aide pharmacy for all of our meds. I'm worried when I go to college and I'm on my own getting meds because I'll feel like those working at the pharmacy will look at me as if I am a drug addict who is picking up 3 different scripts for narcotics, benzos, and SSRIs. Maine has a pretty high narcotic addiction rate and I always feel like someone somewhere thinks I'm an addict.

brittany09
07-02-2012, 11:13 AM
If you ever have a doctor that treats you like your drug seeking and you aren't, switch doctors. You don't have to put up with that, and will find a doc that understands. Unfortunately,this does happen to people that need their pills. And it's just as unfortunate that drug addicts can get addictive prescriptions for years and never be questioned. I know a lady that was a meth addict for most of her life,and is prescribed methadone, xanax and adderall. Does that sound right to anybody? The system doesn't make any sense to me. People that need certain medications can get talked down to,or flat out denied access to it. While drug addicts have no issues getting their drug of choice legally from their doctor.

hopeNfaith88
07-03-2012, 12:06 AM
If you ever have a doctor that treats you like your drug seeking and you aren't, switch doctors. You don't have to put up with that, and will find a doc that understands. Unfortunately,this does happen to people that need their pills. And it's just as unfortunate that drug addicts can get addictive prescriptions for years and never be questioned. I know a lady that was a meth addict for most of her life,and is prescribed methadone, xanax and adderall. Does that sound right to anybody? The system doesn't make any sense to me. People that need certain medications can get talked down to,or flat out denied access to it. While drug addicts have no issues getting their drug of choice legally from their doctor.

Lol, thats america for you. I know someone like that who gets a large amount (3 figures worth) of methadone and oxy (2 strengths of oxy, 120 x 30mg and 180 x 15mg for "breakthru pain" lmao) All together! If a person took as much as some drs prescribe youd be off your ass all day. Like this same lady gets 240 bars a month, and her bottle says "take 1 tablet every 3 hours as needed for anxiety" Can you imagine taking 8 bars a day. Its crazy and totally unethical! But elderly folks who can barely cant get their small script of narcotics filled because of the junkies cleaning out the pharms.

brittany09
07-03-2012, 08:30 AM
8 bars a day, wtf. You know these people are just selling them,there's no way they could even function off of that many pills. It's funny because the lady I know was at my house one day and she busts up her adderall and snorts it. "For her bipolar disorder." No, it's because it's free meth that is legal for you. Of course her methadone is for her "disintegrated back disc" she didn't even know she had until her doctor brought it up. Then she's "in so much pain she can't get out of bed." Hahaha. Congrats doctors. This is so common up here. Drug addicts are the only people that get pills because that makes sense.

Yanni
07-03-2012, 02:09 PM
I went to go fill my Tylenol + Codeine perscription today and the pharmacy told me that they were out and they would call me when they had more in.
I need 10 pills of T2's. That's it. How the hell were they out of those. I'm lucky that a lot of teenagers in my area aren't seeking legal drugs, because then it would be stupid hard for me to get weak drugs. Seriously, I was getting 12 .25 Xanax, 10 T2, and 10 BuSpar.
That's it.
No way in hell someone could take 8 bars per day and be functional. 2 MG just wipes me out of Xanax. It only takes 1.5 of Ativan for that to do that to me. I can't imagine 16 mg.

laurandisorder
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Oh wow. That is a massive problem in the US!! I remember watching a Drugs Inc doco that essentially showed how easy it was to set up a profitable prescription drug ring - especially in Florida. I can't believe what a huge problem it is.

Meanwhile on the other side of the world in Australia you have to show photo ID at the pharmacist just to get pseudoephedrine (sudafed) and you have to BEG for it if you have a sinus infection! In fact, most chemists don't even stock it and have large signs saying so on premises. If a pharmacist does give it to you, your details go on a national database!!!

All because of robberies due to the use of pseudoephedrine in meth making process. Don't the crank heads watch Breaking Bad? Apparently
You can get most of the stuff you need from a hard ware store!! (you also need a hazmat suit and gas mask to rock it true Walter White style)

Also none of our walk in clinics will prescribe drugs of dependence.

Yanni
07-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I've been to three different walk in clinics in the New England area. None of them would prescribe dependence based drugs. Here if you buy enough sudafed you get put on a watch list with the local police. A huge problem that I've noticed here is the pharmacy at Wal-Mart. The people who man those are usually so busy with other things they don't really care and will just rush to get you your drugs or give you whatever OTC you need.