PDA

View Full Version : Worried and need some advice...

jennifer1977
06-29-2012, 07:16 PM
HI everyone!
I am a 35 yr old female, who has been experiencing anxiety for about 10 years. I have three episodes that were very scary...The first started in 2004 when I was in nursing school, and got up from taking a test and couldn't feel my leg. The symptom lasted only a few minutes and i was back to normal. A few years later in, while still in school, I had a very intense and scary experience that lasted approximately 3 months. My heart would race, I could barely write, my hands were numb and tingly and I felt like I was going to pass out or have seizures when in public places. This was a very stressfull time for me as well because I had a lot of family/friend drama. I hate to be vague but that story could be another post in itself.

So about two weeks ago I was on my way to the airport, afraid of running late, and dead stopped in traffic, I had another panic attack. Hands went numb, got stiff, started shaking. Ears became muffled--like I was going to pass out, sensory reaction was extremely hightened...I nearly jumped out of my seat when a motorcycle drove by. It settled down once I got to the airport, but quickly returned and has been with me ever since. I am also going through a very tough time right now trying to emotionally support my single mother who is losing her house and found out her dog has cancer all in a matter of a week (consequensly thwo days before my attack). I have also been experiencing muscle twitching and last night dizziness that I still had when I woke up today, but has since cleared. My heart races randomly and I am severely afraid of going out in fear it will trigger another attack.

I have been doing a lot of reading and am terrified it might be Multiple Sclerosis. I also just moved to a new city and recently unemployed, so sitting around has made me feel very lonely and isolated. I have a history of hypothyroid, which i stopped taking medication for because i wasn't working and wanted to "save the perscription". I know, thats terrible and I began taking them again almost a week ago. Needless to say, I realize reading this what a great amount of stress I am under, but just wanted to reach out and see what you thought. I am so scared of MS but do not have the money or insurance to cover seeing a doctor for an MRI, etc, etc.. Thank you all who have gotten this far reading! take care.

rockstar34
06-29-2012, 07:59 PM
HI everyone!
I am a 35 yr old female, who has been experiencing anxiety for about 10 years. I have three episodes that were very scary...The first started in 2004 when I was in nursing school, and got up from taking a test and couldn't feel my leg. The symptom lasted only a few minutes and i was back to normal. A few years later in, while still in school, I had a very intense and scary experience that lasted approximately 3 months. My heart would race, I could barely write, my hands were numb and tingly and I felt like I was going to pass out or have seizures when in public places. This was a very stressfull time for me as well because I had a lot of family/friend drama. I hate to be vague but that story could be another post in itself.

So about two weeks ago I was on my way to the airport, afraid of running late, and dead stopped in traffic, I had another panic attack. Hands went numb, got stiff, started shaking. Ears became muffled--like I was going to pass out, sensory reaction was extremely hightened...I nearly jumped out of my seat when a motorcycle drove by. It settled down once I got to the airport, but quickly returned and has been with me ever since. I am also going through a very tough time right now trying to emotionally support my single mother who is losing her house and found out her dog has cancer all in a matter of a week (consequensly thwo days before my attack). I have also been experiencing muscle twitching and last night dizziness that I still had when I woke up today, but has since cleared. My heart races randomly and I am severely afraid of going out in fear it will trigger another attack.

I have been doing a lot of reading and am terrified it might be Multiple Sclerosis. I also just moved to a new city and recently unemployed, so sitting around has made me feel very lonely and isolated. I have a history of hypothyroid, which i stopped taking medication for because i wasn't working and wanted to "save the perscription". I know, thats terrible and I began taking them again almost a week ago. Needless to say, I realize reading this what a great amount of stress I am under, but just wanted to reach out and see what you thought. I am so scared of MS but do not have the money or insurance to cover seeing a doctor for an MRI, etc, etc.. Thank you all who have gotten this far reading! take care.

I have suffered for 12+yrs and know what you are going through. Recently had to stop working because my fatigue and anxiety got worse.
Now that I've been out of work for the last year I've had to apply for county medical here in ca. I'd recommend that so you can get checked out to be 100% sure you don't have MS.
I have a friend with MS and it doesnt sound like you have it.

07-01-2012, 01:15 PM
My brother in law died of MS and what you are experiencing, to me, has nothing to do with MS. I am agoraphobic and a lot of your symptoms are mine as well.

Bob

07-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Jennifer,

When my fear strikes my muscles twitch and jerk and I can hardly turn my head. I shake and tremble badly inside, my heart races wildly and I jump at any different sound. In short - I shake uncontrollably and start to fall apart with fear.

Bob

Buttercup
07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
It seems like you have a lot of stress in your life at the moment and stopping your medicine will not have helped. Thyroid problems often give people anxiety like symptoms. The first thing my doctor checked me for when I was experience severe anxiety was my thyroid. All your symptoms sound like anxiety possibly mixed with your hyperthyroidism, it's amazing how many different symptoms you can get from anxiety and also how many other conditions/diseases they mimic so it's natural for your mind to wander and start thinking it may be something else you have. Is there anyway you could get to see a therapist? That was what helped me when my anxiety was at its worst. Also keep taking your thyroid meds as I am sure that will help keep you on an even keel. Can you get them from a free clinic if you are stuck for cash? I have no idea how the medical system works in places other than the UK- as crap as the NHS can be at least we get free meds!

jennifer1977
07-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Thank you all for your responses! Since joining this sight and having an outlet for support, my anxiety seems a lot less. I actually drove an hour yesterday, got stuck in traffic (which is was initially my trigger)...and I kept telling myself I was fine. I guess it worked because I didn't totally freak. Having a positive experience out and about has definitely given me hope. I am looking into seeking counseling because I'd like to avoid medication if possible. But I'd like to thank you all very much for being supportive and encouraging. It means so much. Worriers of the world unite ;)

jennifer1977
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Bob, I'm really sorry about your brother-in-law.