PDA

View Full Version : How can I calm myself right now???

tokishone
06-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I've tried meditation, but it leaves room to think and I can't clear my head when I'm worrying like I am....
My problem is, I find this outrageous things online (conspiracy theories, zombie Apocalypse, etc) and they instantly freak me out, so then I go on a hunt to find things that prove my fears wrong. The only problem with this being it's usually a '3 steps forward, 6 steps back' sort of thing where I'll find something that calms me momentarily and then find something that brings my fears back again...

This is one of those moments....

How can I clear my head and calm myself? please and thank you for any and all suggestions....

wantmylifeback
06-27-2012, 11:26 PM
Music. Always been my escape.

dazza
06-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Stop reading all that crap on the web then!

Clearly you're not in the right state of mind to be reading that nonsense so stop winding yourself up.

Us anxious folk don't process that kinda rubbish very well since our grey matter doesn't rationalise too well.
Shove a few zombie and conspiracy theories in there 'n all and you're really stiring it up...

Seriously... STOP. Go do something a little more calming & normal, like taking a walk.

tokishone
06-28-2012, 12:47 AM
Stop reading all that crap on the web then!

Clearly you're not in the right state of mind to be reading that nonsense so stop winding yourself up.

Us anxious folk don't process that kinda rubbish very well since our grey matter doesn't rationalise too well.
Shove a few ****** and conspiracy theories in there 'n all and you're really stiring it up...

Seriously... STOP. Go do something a little more calming & normal, like taking a walk.

Yeah, I've officially blocked multiple sites now. Including Google, Yahoo and any and all news forums .__. I'm definitely going to keep myself off of that crap....

Velrose
06-28-2012, 07:33 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I've had to stop watching the news, reading the news, and I've even gone so far as... I don't watch anything that's even remotely violent or scary on tv. I just don't handle the what ifs well. SAW was a horrible movie for me, as I kept worrying about copy cats XD

It's not easy though. When I'm left alone to my thoughts, my mind wanders. I chalk it up to the fact that I'm a pretty creative person and I'm also very soft hearted. My best advice is to stop looking at such websites, and DISTRACT yourself. The less time you have to sit and stew in your own thoughts, the better. I play a lot of mmos online, I read, I watch silly shows on Netflix, and in the worst of times throw myself into house cleaning (UGH!!!)

kad
06-28-2012, 07:50 AM
My husband has banned me from quite a few sites. Web md is one of them.

Will this get better?

hopeNfaith88
06-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Yes it will. Youll feel better soon. Ive learned anxiety comes in cycles and the best thing to do is to use techniques offered to make yourself more comfortable at the most anxious times until it passes. Eventually you will go back to normal

JAug
06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
My husband has banned me from quite a few sites. Web md is one of them.

Will this get better?

Web Md, ah yes. If you have a cut on your hand you have space herpes and 3 hours to live. :)

In all seriousness, stop looking online for medical advice....here's why: Because if you think you have something incredibly rare, by looking it up online, you're bound to find the few people who have the rare condition, and then you'll think it's common or you may have it. The best medical advice is the advice from your doctor.

Velrose
06-28-2012, 06:12 PM
Space herpes. My worst fear. XDDD

Made me chuckle.

kad
06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Thank you for responding to me as well - I appreciate it more than you know

tokishone
06-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. It seriously helps :)

lmgibson87
06-29-2012, 11:33 PM
I just was on webmd for an hour UGH. I definitely agree that watching a funny show helps. The only thing that distracts me sometimes is going on Netflix an watching some old arrested development or office episodes ! Looks like I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Tonight I convinced myself I have lyme disease, talked to My boyfriend on the phone and he told me its probably something much more serious... Webmd disease. Haha

So try to just get your mind off of it with something funny that you love, have some go to favorite shows or movies to watch, it's the only thing that distracts me sometimes !

tokishone
07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I just was on webmd for an hour UGH. I definitely agree that watching a funny show helps. The only thing that distracts me sometimes is going on Netflix an watching some old arrested development or office episodes ! Looks like I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Tonight I convinced myself I have lyme disease, talked to My boyfriend on the phone and he told me its probably something much more serious... Webmd disease. Haha

So try to just get your mind off of it with something funny that you love, have some go to favorite shows or movies to watch, it's the only thing that distracts me sometimes !

Yep, I was convinced yesterday that I had the beginnings signs of a flesh eating bacteria... turns out I needed some lotion >.>