PDA

View Full Version : Being scared, does it do anything?

Music_lover
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
My friend brought up a good question, well, what I thought was a good question. If someone who has panic attacks and everything, if someone would like jump out and scare them, could being scared like that cause a panic attack?

jitters
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Probably not, Panic Attacks are usually caused by a fear of the symptoms we get when we are in fear mode i.e. racing heart, nausea, deep breathing... and so on. The panic comes because these symptoms are responding to a threat which we cant fight or run from, as our body is designed to do. And we get worried that the symptoms are a serious condition such as heart failiure or theat others will laugh at us for looking strange or acting strange. This sends us into a spiral of panic, and we have an attack.

To answer your question, if somone jumped out and scared you, this would feel like a natural response for your heart to be in your mouth etc. So the chances are you wouldnt have an attack. This is similar to if you where to feel these anxiety symptoms on say a rollercoster. You would veiw them as excitement and wouldn't spiral into a panic attack. It is all a matter of perspective. If you get these symptoms sat watching T.V. you would naturally respond with anxious thoughts i.e. what the f*ck is going on am I having a heart attack.

Good Question though.

Duncan

:)

phishn4842
02-06-2007, 04:14 PM
in a weird way I sometimes feel better when im startled...I dont think id like it if someone jumped out and scared me...but If im feeling anxious and something startles me, sometimes ill fell a little better after the shock wares off...not always but sometimes...