PDA

View Full Version : Extreme anxiety. Need suggestions.

wantmylifeback
06-27-2012, 01:31 PM
I would like to share a little bit of my story if people dont mind reading it and helping me out.

Im a 22 year old male. Ive struggled with social anxiety for the majority of my life, and I really dont know the cause of it when I was younger. Ive been on medication for the majority of my life. High school was hard for me socially, but i pulled through. I graduated high school and had girl friends and what not and always saw myself as a good looking guy. Girls liked me. At about 19, my skin began to break out with acne. From 20-21 my life was rough. I was going no where and all I was doing was smoking weed, working, and being miserable about my face. I decided to make a change and leave my "friends" and focus on me. My skin cleared up right at my 21st bday. Life was great and having flawless skin was only something i dreamt about.

Around July 2011 right before I was turning 22, i decided to enlist in the Navy. I didnt like my job where i was working and I had the confidence and motivation to do anything. My skin was great and I felt like I could be myself for the first time in a long time. Life kept going great. I was working out consistently, met new friends, girls, etc. I went to Vegas for superbowl weekend and a UFC fight early Feb 2012, and my skin broke out. I let it ruin my weekend. I got home and my skin got worse. I dont know if it was the stress knowing I was leaving for the military in a month or what, but my life took a 180 just like that. I became paralyzed and didnt leave my room for 2 weeks. Finally my parents and sister took control and forced me to get out. I went to 2 different dermatologists, saw an old therapist, saw an acupuncturist, went to yoga, etc etc. My family pushed me telling me what a great opportunity I had going into the Navy and what it will bring to my life. All i could think about was my skin. I was miserable. I finally got the courage to leave and ship out after my mom told me "do this for me". I did.

I was in boot camp for 5 days, and I let all my anxiety get to me. I was so upset about my skin that I let it control me and I got discharged and set home. I left March 13, 2012, and got home April 7, 2012. I was devastated but also relieved to be back home. My parents brought up me moving to NYC to live with my aunt so I could get out my small town in CA and live somewhere where no one knows me and I can focus on myself. I did. I moved about a month later.

Ive now been here living with my aunt and my cousin who is back for the summer from college. Ive been here almost 3 months and Ive gotten no where. Ive been miserable just about every day. Ive seen 2 dermatologists here. My skin looks decent but its not clear to the way it was 5 months ago. It still bugs me everyday and its the only thing holding me back. I have been a therapist for about a month and a half. Hes been pushing me to get out everyday instead of staying in the apt like I have been. Im just so fixated on my skin that i cant move forward. Ive lost 30 lbs since the weekend in Vegas in February. I barely eat. I have very little energy and I am constantly depressed and anxious. I want to go back home to where im comfortable and see if I cant move forward there, but my parents dont think its a good idea. I just dont know what to do. I hate living in this tiny apt with 2 other adults. I want my own place with my own dog, but im so stuck.

I just want my fucking life back. My life took a COMPLETE 180 turn within 1 weekend. I had my whole life planned out, and it got taken away like just like that. Im taking prozac right now and I dont see it helping. My problem is getting out of the apartment. I go to sleep at 2-3 am and wake up at 1 pm. I shower, try to eat, and spend my days on the computer. I have a lot of ambitions and goals, but im so stuck trying to get there. Im so fixated on my skin that its completely holding me back. I know no ones perfect, but going from having shitty skin to having clear skin and having a taste of that life where I didnt have to worry about my appearance to back to feeling self conscious about my skin again. Im extremely pale from not eating and extremely skinny. Its horrible.

My life has been a seesaw. I need suggestions on how to move forward and how to get my skin thats CONSTANTLY in the back of my head OUT of my head and have it stop holding me back. Thank you for anyone who takes time to read this. It means a lot to me. Thanks.

kimby88
06-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Hello.

I know your very uncomfortable with your skin but please remember it doesn't define you as a person. We all have flaws and things we hate about ourselves. I believe you have to believe in yourself and talk to your parents...I think maybe they are scared being with them you will get worse,explain that Is not the case you want home to get better. Really tho NYC must be amazing and your letting this great experience pass by you. Try get a little job...coffee shop maybe?! It may push you to build your confidence and self belief. Beauty is skin deep it's the person under it that matters. Your skin will glow when it has a reason too. Staying in hiding away will make it worse. Please BELIEVE YOU WILL GET THERE.

TheWhiteRabbit
06-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I had extreme acne for as long as I can remember and nothing I did ever helped. I kept going no matter how bad it was and I'm so happy I did. I got on accutane and it was hell for the whole time but I'm happy to report my skin has been clear for over a year for the first time I can remember. Hang in there and yes please keep going.. Don't let it suck you in. Believe me I know it is hard but it will go away...

:-)

wantmylifeback
06-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Thank you both so much for your responses and kind words of encouragement. Like I said, I went from a life for a year not having to worry about my skin to all of a sudden being self conscious and worrying about it again. My skin is clearing up but it still bothers me. My therapist says I'm OCD about it which is true. I see 1 spot coming up and I freak out and my day is ruined. I know skin doesn't define someone. But for me it's a big deal. I have a lot of passions that I want t pursue I'm just having a hard time pushing through to get there.

There is a photography course that I want to take bc I've gotten into photography living in NYC but I'm so fixated on my skin that its hard for me to push past it and put it away for 2 hrs and focus on something else...if the makes sense. And there's pros and cons about coming back home. I'm comfortable, I have my family, dog, and I'm in a comfort zone. Con is that I would have to face friends back home and that brings anxiety in itself. I would be forced to go places and people who i knew before would see me. It's a tough situation.

I guess ultimately I want to live on my own with my own dog living my own life. It's just so fucking hard to get there with all my issues right now. I guess it's 1 step at a time. I'm almost 23 and this is my first time living outside of my parents house and it's really no different being with my aunt and cousin. It's also hard because it's a small crammed 2 bedroom apt with 1 bathroom. So the living situation is motivation enough to try and push through and move forward.....

wantmylifeback
06-28-2012, 12:26 PM
My other concern is my weight. I'm severely underweight. I'm 5'7 and only weigh 123 right now. As a man. It's horrible. I'm so worried about what i put into my body if it's going to break my skin out. Im super pale and I need to get back to a healthy weight. Any suggestions?

kmarie30
06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Have you spoken to your doctor about a medication for acne prone skin? My sister did and she looks great! Then start beefing up on protein and carbs to gain some weight. Using a supplement from a health store like GNC will help too! Just mention you want to gain. They will totally help you out. Creatine I think my brother took. Really helped him

wantmylifeback
06-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Have you spoken to your doctor about a medication for acne prone skin? My sister did and she looks great! Then start beefing up on protein and carbs to gain some weight. Using a supplement from a health store like GNC will help too! Just mention you want to gain. They will totally help you out. Creatine I think my brother took. Really helped him

I see a dermatologist in a week and a half and I'll ask about an oral medication. My problem is that I'm allergic to the main ones so it's hard for them to give me something. Creatine is just water weight. I'm going to go to the health food store in a bit and see what they have. Is so hard for me to get out of the apartment and be in public feeling the way I do. I jus wanna lay in bed all day...

kimby88
06-30-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm also 5,7 and until about 2 months ago I was under 6stone I was tiny but I got protein shakes took them 3 times a day and now I'm 8stone . I feel so much better having filled out a good bit. I feel amazing so I would recommend trying the build up shakes they work and also a lot of vitamins in it too so would be great for your skin

wantmylifeback
06-30-2012, 10:44 PM
I'm also 5,7 and until about 2 months ago I was under 6stone I was tiny but I got protein shakes took them 3 times a day and now I'm 8stone . I feel so much better having filled out a good bit. I feel amazing so I would recommend trying the build up shakes they work and also a lot of vitamins in it too so would be great for your skin

The problem is that the majority of protein powders have whey protein which is milk. My stomach can't handle it. I found a vegan powder that using. Well see if I can't gain a bit with that.

wantmylifeback
06-30-2012, 10:46 PM
So I go to Washington dc in 2 weeks to see my family who's gonna be vacationing there. I'm reall really anxious about it. I'm still bummed about my skin and I know it's family but I'm so self conscious about my skin. Any suggestions on just letting it go for the few days I'm with them so I can enjoy myself and not worry about my skin constantly like I do?

wantmylifeback
07-01-2012, 01:12 PM
Ugh and now my top wisdom tooth is coming in. Will anything ever fucking stop?!? It's 1 thing after another! So stressed out.