PDA

View Full Version : My First Of Therapy

CarJim75
06-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Hello everyone! I had my first therapy session and I have mixed reviews. It felt positive to get things off my mind and I wanted more guidance on anxiety coping techniques. Instead, my therapist wanted more history of my past. Has anyone had the same experience?

TheWhiteRabbit
06-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Yes, I had the same experience my first couple of sessions and it bothered me but remember they are just trying to get some information to know you and then they can start helping. Can't help much if you don't know much I say.. Hang in there but also remember the first couple visits your interviewing them so if it's not going in the direction you want or your not comfortable, find another therapist.

:-)

Buttercup
06-27-2012, 01:22 AM
As white reabbit said, the first couple of sessions are really for info gathering. The therapist can't help you until they get to know all about you and your past.

dazza
06-27-2012, 01:24 AM
In order for your mind to get better, it needs to get rid of all the crap that resides within it.

Just like a computer riddled with viruses - all those viruses need to be found first, before we can delete them.

This is the approach your therapist is taking. They are finding out EVERYTHING, both past and present.
From this they will build a picture of where you are today and where you need to go.

Just go with the flow.