PDA

View Full Version : how actually does meds work??

CeeJ
06-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Im starting new meds tonight and just wonderin what actually 'taking the edge off' means? I get terrible blurry vision when im out or talking talking people. I feel I lose concentration very easily and just want to be by myself. So what actually does the meds do? Be nice to hear...
Thanx

JAug
06-26-2012, 07:58 AM
A lot depends on the type you take. The jist of it is that you feel the way you do based on chemical imbalances. Certain meds either add chemicals, reduce chemicals, change the way in which you absorb chemicals, or change the way you emit chemicals.

Meds are okay for short term use. If you want permanent, long lasting results you may want to see a psychologist and get to the underlying cause of how you feel, which is poor thinking habits.

:)

CeeJ
06-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Ok thankyou so they either will or wont work lol defo dont want to be on meds for long term but doc thinks short term then see a behavioral therapist and hopefully get things back on track...

JAug
06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
Ok thankyou so they either will or wont work lol defo dont want to be on meds for long term but doc thinks short term then see a behavioral therapist and hopefully get things back on track...

More or less. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work. From what I hear most people need to try a few to find one type they like. :)

CeeJ
06-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Well on second one so heres hopeing :)

bhamlaxy
06-26-2012, 12:08 PM
In my experience, meds "turn down the volume" of my anxiety. Before anxiety would get to the point where it was drowning out everything else- I was a nervous mess, and the smallest things could trigger it.

Before a certain thought or action could trigger a panic attack. Now I feel the slightest anxiety, and can easily push it away with my mind. It's like turning the volume down on the TV- it's been far easier to ignore and focus.

I can't make any promises but depending on the med you could see some of your symptoms decrease or disappear.

CeeJ
06-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Thankyou. Im hopeing that it does for me what it does for you as my anxiety is runing my life, panic all day about everything!
I know everybody is different and meds work differently but after having a bad experience on citalopram doc put me on sertraline today so hopefully in few weeks I will see improvement....

dazza
06-27-2012, 01:30 AM