PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever fainted/passed out??

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Afternoon, just curious im always terrifed that im going to faint/pass out when im in public. Get dizzy lightheaded etc...so is this just anxiety messing with us or has anyone actually experienced this??
Be interesting to see...
CeeJ

laurandisorder
06-25-2012, 08:23 AM
This has happened to me once, but it was in very extreme circumstances. I have managed anxiety off and in for four years and it did only happen the one time, fortunately I was already at home and sitting and it only lasted a couple of seconds.

I had been hyperventilating for 1.5 hours and ended up in the ER with a resting pulse of 145. It was from the hyperventilating and not the attack itself. It was an extreme case. .

It is actually VERY rare and I doubt it will happen to you. If you do get dizzy and feel faint in public, get some fresh air and do some breathing.

Most people will never pass out from anxiety - I promise!

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Thankyou! This has answered what I thought. Sorry to here bout your experience there!! I now know when im in public places etc when I feel like im going to pass out that I wont so instead of asking my am I going to or not!? I can now say to my myself that I wont pass out its just anxiety....
Thankyou

JAug
06-25-2012, 09:04 AM
If it helps, when you get nervous or are experiencing extreme anxiety your blood pressure rises, which prevents you from passing out.

I share the same fear as you, believe me I know the exact feeling of like you're about to fall over. I've had it bad for a while and nothing ever happens, the fear is causing the sensations, nothing more.

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes that helps alot actually! Good to know this and remember these things when I feel like its comeing on an try and calm myself down! Its a horrible thing to go through but just got to keep doin it! Can do any of yous experience numb feeling in your legs?? Always happens to me if im out like I cant feel them moving when walking...
Thankyou

AnxiousChic
06-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I have passed out before but NOT from anxiety. It is rare that you will, and even if you do it's no biggie. You wake up in seconds, refreshed, and your body resets itself. If you feel faint sit down with your head leaning over your stomach downward, or lay down with your feet higher than your heart.

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Yeah I have tryed the siting down but calms me for few seconds then as soon as im back up then it comes back. Thanx

Amy1986
06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm the same. That's why the list of circumstances is ever growing that I can't deal with though have got a lot better. In the 6 years have has this I've only passed out 3 times all because if over heating, nothing to do with anxiety really. But I carry a few things when I go out which act as a pretty big comfort for me like sugar chews, a drink, a granola bar to name a few. But in the grand scheme of things I think to myself 'okay so the worst that could happen is I pass out' but if that's the worst that could happen its not a big deal (I know it doesn't feel like it and would be a little embarrassing) but if it happens, it happens. Screw everyone else's opinion. :)

JAug
06-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Yes that helps alot actually! Good to know this and remember these things when I feel like its comeing on an try and calm myself down! Its a horrible thing to go through but just got to keep doin it! Can do any of yous experience numb feeling in your legs?? Always happens to me if im out like I cant feel them moving when walking...
Thankyou

Somtimes happens too, but I find it happens only when I think of it. It's really nothing. And, if you want to confirm it's 100% nothing, give you Dr a call. :)

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 10:12 AM
I think thats the worst part, what if I pass out, what will people think of me!! I always have water with me, and choc bar for those stressing times!!

Amy1986
06-25-2012, 12:12 PM
If its more to do with what ppl think of you then try not to worry about it, you'll prob never see these ppl again which is always some degree if comfort I find. :)

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
Nah the best of it is I know this but doesnt stop the mind telling me otherwise ha

Amy1986
06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Don't ya love it when that happens eh :) our bloody brains lol how are you feeling ATM?

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 12:53 PM
To be honest today has been a good day compared to yesterday! Might sound silly but managed to go into a small shop today which is the first in over a month!! Tomorro im going to try tackle the supermarket. Have decided the more I do it will get easier so just going to force myself ha
How are you today?

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Oh thought the easiest way to start is to go around 9am when its not busy and to write a wee note of what I need, stick to that and hopefully can work up from this...

Amy1986
06-25-2012, 01:26 PM
That's an awesome idea, shops (especially busy ones) unnerve me too. But hurrah for the store today :) well done!!! Def best to go early as you say, won't be as busy and a lot easier to get up and go without thinking about it too much. Remember to have a drink and breakfast before you go though!!

Me myself had a good day :) didn't do anything but have to go on a bus tomorrow (I don't do public transport well) which is unnerving for me but I'm gonna do it anyway :)

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes defo breakfast, my anxiety seems worse if I eat little...

And fully understand the bus senario...its been over a year since I was last on one but we know what we got to do :) are you on any meds?

panicinparadise
06-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi

No I have never passed out and it EXTREMELY unlikely you ever will, mainly because when you get anxious your heart starts pumping more blood to the brain and we breath heavier to pump all this blood increasing the pressure, and all this adrenaline is unspent, so it stays in the body (evolutionally the reaction is fight or flight to help you escape or fight which burns it off). So all this INCREASES blood pressure and while the fear of fainting is terrible and increases your attack fainting is because of LOW BLOOD PRESSURE, while what you are experiencing is the opposite.

So banish the thought of fainting, or even during an episode tell your self 'fuck it, go on do your worst, make me faint' and that should help. It did me anyway.

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Again thankyou! Its just what I thought anyway! From now on I will just tell it to fuck off you cant hurt me :)

Amy1986
06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
No, no meds. Have been off them for few years, but only finished therapy few months ago. What about you?

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Ive been given meds but I lasted a week on them an felt side effects were too much felt worse etc...but ive doc again tomorro she says cant take a few weeks to kick in. But still wondering if they do actually take the edge off as everyone says ha

JAug
06-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Ive been given meds but I lasted a week on them an felt side effects were too much felt worse etc...but ive doc again tomorro she says cant take a few weeks to kick in. But still wondering if they do actually take the edge off as everyone says ha

They should help, but if you want advice on what will give you long lasting PERMANENT effects? See a psychologist and get to the root of why you're feeling the way you do. :)

CeeJ
06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah looking into that too hopefully be fixed in no time :)

JAug
06-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Yeah looking into that too hopefully be fixed in no time :)

I was always told that taking meds and seeing a psychologist has a compound effect. Meaning when combined 2+2 does not equal 4, rather 2+2=5 :)

CeeJ
06-26-2012, 08:27 AM
See what you mean there :)