PDA

View Full Version : job interviews

amalya
06-22-2012, 08:41 AM
Hiya
Do any other anxiety sufferers have particular problems with job interviews, and if so, how do you overcome them?

I've been working since I was 16, in between studying, and have good experience. But everytime I attend a job interview my nerves go through the roof and I start sweating, trembling and stuttering. This has actually stopped me from getting various jobs, and in interview feedback all the potential employers say I was just far too nervous and didn't come across confident and able.

I'm very poor, and from a poor family, so while I'm living at home my mum can't afford for me to be unemployed. Also my boyfriend and friends are all marginally wealthier than me, so even things like going to the cinema is pretty hard for me (also my boyfriend lives on the other side of London, and travel is really really expensive) And when my friends ask me to do things with them I always have to decline because I have no money, so I really need a job.

Does anyone have a few tactics that they use before going to a job interview, or to stop coming across as really anxious?

alankay
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
This is what I did. Work on relaxation technigues and try to imagine the questions you'll get and rehearse answers(make a huge list and practice answers).
In addition I had a long talk with my doc about my racing heart/tremor/shaking for speech class(required for my degree) and we tried used a beta blocker(inderal). It used to be bad and no amount of pretending it(nervousness) wasn't there helped. This helped and over time I was able to reduce to beta blocker dose and rely more on what experience I had built up. Believe me you will build on each success. I know it's hard because you're nervous and the fact they you are sure they can and will notice this makes it worse.
Others may have their advise but that's mine. As you get to know the job and people, you will become more comfortable. Alankay

bhamlaxy
06-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Remember that a certain degree of anxiety is totally natural for a job interview. Even people that don't have an anxiety disorder can get some of the symptoms you describe. But it sounds like it's a bit more for you, like many who do suffer from anxiety.

You indicated you are low-income, and I don't know if you receive any medical assistance, but if possible a very small dose of a benzo (like .5mg of ativan) could calm you down. At that dose, I just feel totally normal with very little if any anxiety.

Just take a deep breath and try not to let your mind race. Just have a conversation with them. You know you need the money AND will work hard for it. So you just have to convey that. Maybe some chamomile tea and a hot bath before the interview would help.