PDA

View Full Version : No appetite,losing weight

brittany09
06-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Does anybody lose weight because of their anxiety? I'm only a few pounds above underweight and would REALLY rather not worry about having health problems from being underweight too,since I'm sure that could affect my anxiety. Before I went through a bad bout of anxiety,I was working out every day and eating well so my metabolism was high. Then I had bad anxiety/depression for a few months and completely stopped working out,and didn't eat enough. I lost 5 pounds,which doesn't sound like much but I don't have the weight to lose. I go through periods where I eat constantly,which doesn't seem to do anything. And periods where I have to force myself to eat. Even when my anxiety is mild like it is now,I have issues with this. I get stomach aches and have trouble sleeping when I'm hungry with no appetite. I take folic acid. Is there anything else I can do to increase my appetite? I'm also not depressed anymore if that matters,I just have a manageable amount of anxiety. Anybody else dealing with this bs?

hopeNfaith88
06-20-2012, 02:24 PM
You could try a supplement to put on weight, like whey protein. My room mates a small guy and hes been gaining weight with drink mix from gnc that helps you put on weight. Im sure you could ask someone at a vitamin store or do your own research. I dont have this problem but i know that anxiety either makes you stuff your face or not eat at all....you have a fast metabolism anyway, so with your adrenaline going from anxiety it doesnt matter what you eat your metabolism is burning through whatever you do eat

Folic acid actually increases your metabolism (as do most of the B's) so you may be swimming against the current with that in your progress to gain weight. Doesnt hurt to ask your doc either they usuall have some nutritional experience

Serenity 7
06-20-2012, 05:23 PM
im the same when im anxious i cant eat.but when im feeling better i eat loads.i have still not overcome it yet.but i do force myself to eat.cos i get terrible headaches if i dont.the longest was 2 days without eating.

brittany09
06-21-2012, 06:57 AM
You could try a supplement to put on weight, like whey protein. My room mates a small guy and hes been gaining weight with drink mix from gnc that helps you put on weight. Im sure you could ask someone at a vitamin store or do your own research. I dont have this problem but i know that anxiety either makes you stuff your face or not eat at all....you have a fast metabolism anyway, so with your adrenaline going from anxiety it doesnt matter what you eat your metabolism is burning through whatever you do eat

Folic acid actually increases your metabolism (as do most of the B's) so you may be swimming against the current with that in your progress to gain weight. Doesnt hurt to ask your doc either they usuall have some nutritional experience

Thanks! I'm not really looking to gain weight,I don't look too skinny. Maybe skinny side of average. Just don't want to lose anymore if I start to feel shitty again. Seems to come out of nowhere and my appetite is just gone. :/ I try to drink a whey protein shake everyday but sometimes I forget. I should probably up that to twice a day.

jenmac
07-05-2012, 11:50 AM
You are probably losing muscle not weight. If you were working out prior then quit the fist to go is muscle mass and it weighs more than fat. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months when my anxiety started and there was nothing that I could do but I did have tests run just in case to make sure that there wasn't something else going on. I had no appetite and energy...it was a very dark, dark place for me and I never, ever want to go back :(