PDA

View Full Version : Dr Claire Weeks book. Self help for your nerves

Cat77
06-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I suffered from panic disorder for over 3 years... Every day I had heart palpitations, thought I was loosing my mind and that I was going to die. I tried everything from medication, self help books, videos, trying to relax etc etc etc blah blah blah... And although a lot of this stuff helped massively I could not find a cure..

Let me tell u a story.

Went abroad with my other half... And yes, this consisted of panic attacks ALL the way to the airport, on the plane and then for the first 3 days. I was that bad id even lined up my 3 travel insurance policies and re written the instructions and phone numbers for my other half to read as I didn't think I'd make it through the night... As I was trying to take my mind off things I even read my book I had taken with me in a day! This was mainly cause I hadn't slept.. Anyway the next day (as I had managed to survive the night!!!) I was even more anxious as I did not have anything to read.... I had never read a book in my life up until I was 30 however had found a new passion for books since having panic attacks as they seemed to work.... Anyway I was in Spain so most books where Spanish until I found the on site second hand book shop haha!!! And I picked up dr Claire weeks self help for your nerves book for the equivalent of 10p!!!!!!

This was my turning point. It was 12 months ago and I tell you what it has cured my 'thought process' and fear of panic attacks....

It teaches you to float past a panic attack instead of panicking and calming yourself down... It also tells u about palpitations and that these are normal....IT IS REALLY GOOD and has helped me get back on track and changed my thought process..... You have to face your attack head on and you are not going to die... The less you panic the quicker your panic attack will be

Peace out !

Lightning778
06-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Glad it helped Cat77 !

Jaffar
06-21-2012, 03:03 AM
ive got 2 books of dr claire weeks which is Hope & Help for Your Nerves and Peace from nervous suffering ..
Still reading half way .. hope by practicing her method will ease my nerves and anxiety ...

Im still trying to Accept , Face , Float & letting Time Pass.....

But it seems i havent get through it ... Still keep practising ....
Share with us if you got the technics done .
cheers

Cat77
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
I went through hell and back trying to find that 'cure'... Worst experience of my life as stopped me from getting on with my life as I permanently thought I was either going to die, or was that anxious could not cope with normal day to day activities... In addition, I used to walk around with thudding heart palpitations and also couldn't sleep cause of this (which as you know makes panic worse).....
The key is learning to accept that there is nothing wrong with you and that you are not going to die. You need to also rid your life of additional stress and stop thinking about everything and worrying.... Accept that your panic attack will pass and go and it's Ok...
I read lots of 'quote books'
Took up road running - that helped as realised any stress and got me active
Made sure I got to sleep early. Lack of sleep will make u 10 times worse and I decided to look after me, and stop helping others, getting involved with everyone else and learned to become a bit more selfish....
I still have little ones that start coming through now and again but I just deal with them now, the more stressed out and worked up u get, the more panic'd out you will be and the longer they will last.....
Hope you are OK, please read that book.. It did change my life

Jaffar
06-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi Cat77,

thanks for your advise , i will do best to help myself the coping skills of dr claire weeks,.
cheers

Tracisixx
07-17-2012, 09:12 PM
I also have this book! The breakdown of common physical symptoms was a great help. Still haven't finished it, as I find sometimes reading about anxiety tends to make me anxious :/