PDA

View Full Version : Excersise and Anxiety

magicpurple
06-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I've been having anxiety/panic attacks for the past couple years.

I've been a runner since before then, but only recently has running become a trigger for anxiety. When I have an anxiety attack while running, I feel completely disconnected from my body. I don't feel any of the pain or exertion that I should be feeling. As a result, I run much faster than I do when I'm not having anxiety. The only thing that slows me down is the fear that if I run too fast I will pass out or have a heart attack. The usual panic fears.

I've found that the best method for me to deal with anxiety/panic is to continue doing whatever I'm doing as long as I can stand it, but I'm worried that I am putting a lot of stress on my heart by running while have an anxiety attack.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience something similar?

CarJim75
06-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I experience the same thing while running but I do the opposite. I'll slow down and just relax at a slower pace. It seems to work for me.

carlyjs
06-18-2012, 10:56 PM
Omg i have the same thing. I never worked out b4 and have had anxiety for years. Every time I try to work out I feel disconnected and lightheaded. I fear passing out as well. I hate it!!!

magicpurple
06-18-2012, 11:37 PM
I'm really competitive so it's hard for me to slow down during a work out if I feel like I could be pushing myself harder!

alankay
06-19-2012, 05:56 AM
Been a runner 30 years and it has helped me. I know the pulse increase can cause some anxiety as it also raises during anxiety but it calms me when I have a good run. I know the heart rate increase is from the run and it helps to know when I'm anxious, it's just a higher pulse from adrenaline, not activity and that part of the anxiety response is less scary ...for me. Alankay

Buttercup
06-19-2012, 07:35 AM
I haven't exercised properly in a long time as the feeling you get from exercise would remind me of having a panic attack- sweaty, hot, fast heart and so on. But I do kow that exercise is very beneficial especially for people with anxiety/depression. I recently bought an exercise bike and have been using that in the house to get used to the feeling of working out again. That and gentle exercise like walking and swimming is great too as it's not an intense cardio workout.

Mysticsoul
06-19-2012, 07:46 AM
I have worked out and ran/cycled all my life - now 15 minutes of weight lifting and I am so sick I think I am dying

bhamlaxy
06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

I am not fit by any means and was encouraged by family and therapist to exercise to relieve stress and anxiety. Even 15 minutes of light work on the elliptical, keeping heart rate around 120bpm spikes my anxiety pretty badly, usually lasting for about an hour.

I'm still keeping my gym membership and hoping to work up the courage. It's just every time it blasts my anxiety sky high. Hoping to figure something out.

CarJim75
06-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Have you tried breathing exercises while working out? As mentioned, I slow down and take deep breaths. Though my workout slows down, my distance in running is increased. It helps me compensate.
Right now I see my workouts as rehab, once I'm 100%, I'll workout to my fullest.

brittany09
06-19-2012, 01:02 PM
It's great your staying active. Some aren't able to work out at all. When I'm active,I have a lot harder time breathing then I used to. It feels like I'm not getting enough air in. Sometimes I get the derealization too. Try playing a sport instead of running,so your more distracted mentally. You should also work on breathing exercises. Look up some online.