PDA

View Full Version : Formal Diagnosis?

Anxee
06-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Hello,

I am new to the forum and joined to learn more about anxiety and anxiety disorders. I am 26 years old and I've lived with some degree of anxiety for my entire life. For the most part, I have tried to cope on my own without medical help or therapy. Like I said- I believe I have struggled with anxiety since childhood, so I don't know what it's like to not have at least some degree of anxiety, and I am not sure what is considered "normal." Recently I have entered a particularly unstable and chaotic period in my life and I have started to see a counselor to deal with these and past issues. I am just wondering whether a formal diagnosis is important, and whether or when you all were formally diagnosed?

For the most part I am functional, I think, as I've gone to college, obtained a master's degree, and gotten through my first job (although I recently quit due to the enormous amount of stress that I felt during this period) without any professional help. Although I feel I have managed to accomplish a lot, I feel that I have had to work extra hard to compensate for my anxiety. I guess when I see that a diagnosis of "clinical anxiety" needs to cause "significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning"--I start to think, eh, maybe that's not me? But when I read a list of the symptoms...it sounds exactly like what I have been going through for as long as I can remember. I guess I am just wondering, how can I know whether I am "normal" or whether I have an "anxiety disorder?" And what is considered a "significant impairment" anyway?

I'd appreciate anyone's input at all really. I have been thinking about getting help for this for a few years now, and it's only just now gotten to the point that I feel I really can't go any longer without dealing with this problem, so in a way I am just starting on this journey.

Buttercup
06-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Personally I think when it comes to anxiety a formal diagnosis isn't really necessary- sometimes when people get a formal diagnosis they see it as a label and become quite fixated on it and almost let it define them. I have had periods of depression and anxiety but haven't had any doctor give me a specific diagnosis and I am fine with that.

I think it's amazing that you can see the achievements in your life- it can be so easy to forget what you have done in the past and recognise that you have done great things. Recently I went through a phase of thinking I'd wasted my life and achieved nothing despite the fact that I got a Bachelor of Arts and Social Sciences degree at uni and went on to complete a post grad in teaching. I taught for several years during which time I also completed a course in counselling. I changed careers to work with adults who have autism and learning difficulties and went back to college to complete qualifications in that area of work. I did this while struggling with anxiety but could not see any good in my life as I felt it had been so hindered with being anxious and worried about having panic attacks. It took me awhile to realise that I am actually a strong, intelligent woman who has acheived a lot and adds value to society. It sounds like you are the same so never forget what you have achieved or lose sight of what you will achieve in the future. It doesn't matter whether or not you are diagnosed with a disorder what matters is that you have identified that there is a problem and you are seeking help with it. This is a journey and you are embarking on a path that will now help you get some order and make sense of things with help from your counsellor.

I tend to steer clear of the word "normal". Normal is different for so many people, no one can truly say what is normal and what is not. For some people being anxious is the norm and becomes a way of life. What may be normal to you may be abnormal to someone else.

B x