PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety during meetings or driving

go2hard73
06-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Hello. Has anyone had an anxiety attack while in a board meeting or while driving where you can't pull over immediately? How did you deal? Thanks

jessie80
06-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes I did. I just tell myself it's anxiety and that it won't kill me and just ride it out. I drink cold water if available. Don't give in to the fear cuz it can start making you avoid activities in which you experience panic attacks. Therapy n support group and reading on panic attacks helped me a lot. one day at a time. You will learn to manage panic attacks. Always remember that they are not dangerous we just tell ourselves we are in danger...and though uncomfortable you can learn to desensitize to them. I did. Panic attacks no longer debilitate me even though I still get them especially when stressed or tired.

go2hard73
06-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Thank you Jessie80. I can't be afraid of living life

carlyjs
06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
I too have the same issues. I have found while I'm driving it helps to have one of my favorite sings (adel) and sing as loud as I can. I sing like I'm in concert and like I can actually sing lol. It helps me focus attention somewhere other than the anxiety. As far As the meetings, idk. I never have been to one but I could imagine that would make anyone anxious.

go2hard73
06-14-2012, 09:21 PM
Thanks Carlyjs. I'm going to sing my lungs out! As you know, it's horrible driving and can't pull over while having a bad panic or anxiety attack. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks!

carlyjs
06-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Your welcome, I too have pulled over many times while driving. ESP on the high way. I try and stick to back streets where there is less traffic and a slower pace. I sympathize with you 100%. I blast my ac and sing sing sing!!! " I set fire to the rain" lol or I call someone to try and distract me.

go2hard73
06-14-2012, 09:38 PM
I just replied to your post. Google either "vagal episode or vagal reaction"

hopeNfaith88
06-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I had a panic attack on the highway, left lane too! I turned on the air full blast on cold, rolled down the window and stuck my left arm out the window and hugged the door while driving. I gripped it hard and stayed focused on the road. I also checked my pulse on my neck to feel my heart pounding to reassure myself it was only panic. it was scary no doubt but it passed and all was good. I bring things with me always when driving: my xanax, a bottle of water, and a brown paper bag. That way im always assured that if i start to panic ive got all my bases covered. Ive found that sipping water relaxes me when im really anxious.

I still think its best to pull over if possible but for some reason i dont panic when i bring those things with me. I havent had a panic attack while driving in a couple weeks. It was so bad about a month ago that i stopped driving and leaving my house but i made myself get back out there and im glad i did. It fades as long as you keep functioning.

go2hard73
06-14-2012, 10:02 PM
Thanks Hope. I'm never driving w/out those items

carlyjs
06-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Do U guys find when u feel like that u drive faster and erratically instead of pulling over?

hopeNfaith88
06-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Do U guys find when u feel like that u drive faster and erratically instead of pulling over?

I dont personally. I focus on driving normal. But i do have a feeling of not wanting to pull over. I have to make myself because my fight or flight response makes me want to get to where im going asap

Buttercup
06-15-2012, 06:33 AM
I have also had some horrible experiences when driving. I am usually ok if i am on roads where I know I can pull over if need be (although i have never actually pulled over as like hope I am just so deseprate to get to my destination). I once had a panic attack while stuck in an traffic jam and it was awful, put me off driving for ages. I still get jittery if I am stuck in traffic or driving long distances. Like another poster I will take back roads instead of motorways and busy roads. Listening to music and singing along is a great help as is windows down and cranking up the air con. Someone else mentioned having a bottle of water and that helps as well.
In my desperation to get home I have also driven faster and erratically but now I try to focus on staying calm, taking my time and being safe. xxx

laurandisorder
06-15-2012, 07:37 AM
These are two of my biggest triggers.

The board room setting has always set off the fear receptors in my brain - I don't know why. I think it goes back to when I first started working after a loooooong stint off that was exacerbated by anxiety and the board room was the first place I felt panic actually infringe on my work life.

This setting is easy for me to overcome. Avoid coffee, keep your hands and mind BUSY. I usually take copious notes and make sure I participate in the conversation. If I start to feel anxious, I put an imaginary timer on and tell myself if I still feel like crap in 10 min, I'll excuse myself, go to the bathroom and if necessary I'll do breathing, or if I'm really freaking out take a half Valium. It usually takes less than 5 min to calm down.

The driving... Urgh. I often have relentless, major multi symptom panic attacks. Usually this occurs if I am driving alone or experiencing some anticipatory anxiety about where I am going. I try to push through it, but I have a threshold of about 30-40 minutes before the hyperventilation will lead to horrible numbness, tunnel vision and complete and utter panic. I have passed out from an attack before and this is my worse fear whilst driving - even though I know it will probably never happen. This is the point where I pull over, have a cigarette (bad, I know, but it regulates my breathing) and call someone - usually my partner, who can talk me down.

The point, I guess is that I am usually fine. I always try in both circumstances. In the boardroom setting, I am yet to fail. Whilst driving, well I have turned back from my destination on occasion. Heck in one really bad attack I was near the private psych hospital that I stayed in 10 years ago and I went in and explained what was happening and just asked if I could sit inside and have a paper bag whilst my Valium kicked in.

Nothing bad has ever really eventuated out of either circumstance. If you can handle living with anxiety, you can handle trying to fight it - I hope that makes sense!