PDA

View Full Version : Stroke like symptoms for days

IloveGod
06-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I have had pain and numbness in my right side for days. My right side of head has felt numb and painful. I have no insurance until mid July, that's when it kicks in. So, I went to a pharmacy and checked my blood pressure in one of those machines. It was ok. I do have an appointment at a free clinic next week. But, I'm getting anxious that something will happen before then? I've been to the ER before for other things but like I said I have no insurance so I don't get the best service. I can't stop worrying before my appointment.

Buttercup
06-14-2012, 02:34 PM
The NHS states the following:
The main stroke symptoms can be remembered with the word FAST: Face-Arms-Speech-Time.

•Face: the face may have dropped on one side, the person may not be able to smile or their mouth or eye may have drooped
•Arms: the person with suspected stroke may not be able to lift one or both arms and keep them there because of arm weakness or numbness
•Speech: their speech may be slurred or garbled, or the person may not be able to talk at all despite appearing to be awake
•Time: it is time to dial 999 immediately if you see any of these signs or symptoms

I have worked with stroke victims in the past and none of them had a numb/painful head before having a stroke. Additionally all of them bar one were over 60 when they had their stroke. I know you are scared but if you were really having a stroke you would know about it (or rather someone else would notice the symptoms and you would be in hospital). Anxiety gives us loads of horrible and scary symptoms and the more we focus on them the worse they get. It's hard to relax and focus on other things when you feel so awful but it really does help if you try. x

IloveGod
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Howdy

You are in a pretty bad way at the moment .

Would you like to chat to someone that was there and some also that has had the stoke fear

cheers kev

Yes, that would be helpful. When did the symptoms subside? How did you cope?

IloveGod
06-14-2012, 03:26 PM
The NHS states the following:
The main stroke symptoms can be remembered with the word FAST: Face-Arms-Speech-Time.

•Face: the face may have dropped on one side, the person may not be able to smile or their mouth or eye may have drooped
•Arms: the person with suspected stroke may not be able to lift one or both arms and keep them there because of arm weakness or numbness
•Speech: their speech may be slurred or garbled, or the person may not be able to talk at all despite appearing to be awake
•Time: it is time to dial 999 immediately if you see any of these signs or symptoms

I have worked with stroke victims in the past and none of them had a numb/painful head before having a stroke. Additionally all of them bar one were over 60 when they had their stroke. I know you are scared but if you were really having a stroke you would know about it (or rather someone else would notice the symptoms and you would be in hospital). Anxiety gives us loads of horrible and scary symptoms and the more we focus on them the worse they get. It's hard to relax and focus on other things when you feel so awful but it really does help if you try. x

Thanks for the information. It's helpful. Did any have symptoms of stroke ( precursors) days before having one?

Buttercup
06-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Nope, although a couple of the gentlemen did have high blood pressure and had been heavy smokers.
But I honestly think this is your anxiety getting the better of you. Going by your user name I take it you are religious so have you tried prayers or putting faith in God and trusting he will look after you? Faith can be a great healer and get you through hard times x

cat eyes
06-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Me too! Tingling and numbness in left side cheek and right side lip tingling and burning. I am on 5mg of celexa. Help! Anxiety is killing me!!

Buttercup
06-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Cat eyes, do you ever get cold sores? If your lip tingles and burns it's often the start of one.

IloveGod
06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Me too! Tingling and numbness in left side cheek and right side lip tingling and burning. I am on 5mg of celexa. Help! Anxiety is killing me!!

Sorry you are suffering but I can relate. Is the medicine helpful? I'm not on medicine.

IloveGod
06-14-2012, 04:11 PM
Nope, although a couple of the gentlemen did have high blood pressure and had been heavy smokers.
But I honestly think this is your anxiety getting the better of you. Going by your user name I take it you are religious so have you tried prayers or putting faith in God and trusting he will look after you? Faith can be a great healer and get you through hard times x

Thanks. Yes, I believe in God and I am a Christian. I have faith and pray but I do get discouraged dealing with anxiety sometimes.

cat eyes
06-14-2012, 04:42 PM
A little one but this anxiety is kicking my ass. So many symptoms I have

IloveGod
06-14-2012, 04:46 PM
A little one but this anxiety is kicking my ass. So many symptoms I have

I understand. I have so many symptoms too.

cat eyes
06-14-2012, 04:46 PM
I don't think it's helping much. They also gave me Xanax but I am afraid to get addicted and hate that. I have so many symptoms that the drs blame anxiety for it all. I can't take this anymore.

IloveGod
06-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't think it's helping much. They also gave me Xanax but I am afraid to get addicted and hate that. I have so many symptoms that the drs blame anxiety for it all. I can't take this anymore.

Aww, I feel so bad for you. I tried medicine before but it wasn't effective. They offered me Xanax but I didn't want to try it. Do you suffer with insomnia too?

go2hard73
06-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Hello. I'm on a few mood stabilizers and Xanax. The Xanax helps but is addictive. I know you can't die from an anxiety attack but it darn sure feels like it. I'm starting a new job next week. I can't pass up this job, do to advancement. Anxiety is killing my quality of life! Has any medications helped anyone? Thanks

cat eyes
06-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Aww, I feel so bad for you. I tried medicine before but it wasn't effective. They offered me Xanax but I didn't want to try it. Do you suffer with insomnia too?

I don't sleep well. Thnx! What do u do for your anxiety?

cat eyes
06-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Hello. I'm on a few mood stabilizers and Xanax. The Xanax helps but is addictive. I know you can't die from an anxiety attack but it darn sure feels like it. I'm starting a new job next week. I can't pass up this job, do to advancement. Anxiety is killing my quality of life! Has any medications helped anyone? Thanks

I take the 0.25 and cut it in half. Kills my life too! I go for therapy and see alot of drs.

IloveGod
06-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't sleep well. Thnx! What do u do for your anxiety?

Well, I do go to weekly therapy. I also have relaxation, breathing tapes.

cat eyes
06-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Well, I do go to weekly therapy. I also have relaxation, breathing tapes.

I go to therapy weekly too. I have to buy some tapes. My heart flutters, races and a dropping feeling. I get so scared. Help!!

IloveGod
06-15-2012, 03:25 PM
I go to therapy weekly too. I have to buy some tapes. My heart flutters, races and a dropping feeling. I get so scared. Help!!

Wow. I get that sometimes too. It is scary. Do you have headaches that last for days?