PDA

View Full Version : Young and suffering

kari90
06-13-2012, 11:07 PM
My anxiety attacks and panic attacks began when I was seven years old. My parents were going thru a divorce the summer of 2003. I remember it started with feeling like I was about to throw up. Over about a year that symptom subsided and a new one began to rise. I had difficulty swallowing. I remember drinking a sip of water with every bite of food I ate, I wet the bed because I would go thru a 24 pack of water in three days. Over time this symptom stopped and was replaced by yet another symptom and this one is the worst! Shortness of breath... The agony I felt over one summer. I lay in bed all day and try to sleep because it was my only escape from the breathing. Then when I woke up I was greeted by the shortness of breath. I cried and cried to myself and my mother tried to help and call the doctor but I was never telling her anything. I didn't tell her about my breathing problem because I thought no one woul believe me or that it would be something bad. Finally after about two years of this I learned to control it, but only if it was just starting. I would talk to myself out loud and say "Kari, this is all in your head, your okay. What are you stressing this about anyway?" then I would distract my self and go on with my day, but sometimes it just blows up in my face and I burst into tears because it comes out of no where. I've been given a medication, it isn't that strong, I'm really small and short. It doesn't work all that well but it's better than nothing. I would suggest a therapist or expert on anxiety to help you learn to control it. Or if your short on cash you can do it the hard way, teach yourself. Use lavender in lots of things, it relaxes the brain. Axiety is when ur brain sends adrenaline pumping for no reason, even a single word or tuch or sound can trigger ur sub conchous mind into distress. Put a cold rag on the back of ur neck, it will freeze the nerves that carry these stress signals, thus preventing them from making you have a panic or anxiety attack. Just stay relaxed and pray to god! For some reason, when I was just starting to experience shortness of breath, holding my hands close to me folded as if praying and clamped together near my heart always made me feel better! Good luck!

arsenalfun
06-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Lavender, chamomile and magnesium are very good. As you said - teach yourself. I think that it's important to understand as anxiety and you (as person) as two objects. Anxiety is irrational and just "something" aside that's trying to ruin sufferer's life.