PDA

View Full Version : Can you take cold/flu medicine while on prozac?

haileey
06-13-2012, 06:46 AM
Okay I'm on 20mg of Prozac & I am completely terrified of medicine, I'm always scared of the side effects but I'm extremely sick & don't think I can make it through another day without some relief, so does anyone know if I'm allowed to take cold/flu medicine on Prozac? I tried to call my pharmacy but they don't open til 9

Buttercup
06-13-2012, 07:57 AM
yes you can, totally safe.

kiwiang
06-13-2012, 08:14 AM
No not all safe I am on Prozac And there are a few I can't ... Google it if you can't see a chemist, I only asked a few days ago ... Certain cold and flu tablets are not allowed with this

alankay
06-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Been on fluoxetine for years without issues from cold meds. Use Antihistmine free to keep serotonin out of the equation but it really shoudl be OK. Alankay

haileey
06-13-2012, 09:59 AM
I finally got ahold of my pharmacist & I guess I can't take anything with dextromethorphan because it could cause serotonin syndrome so they told me I can take Benadryl & Tylenol, still scared tho lol

hopeNfaith88
06-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Yeah dont take anything with dxm or certain antihistamines like citrizine (in zyrtec) or whatevers the active ingredient in claritin. Also even taking narcotic pain killers is a risk for serotonin syndrome. ALSO cant take NSAIDS like advil, aleve, etc. due to risk of stomach bleeding. Theres alot of things that interact with SSRI's so always check first.

If you ever need to check because you cant reach a pharmacist, google "drug interactions checker" and use the one on drugs.com. All you do is enter whatever drugs you take and it tells you if they interact.

Buttercup
06-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Oh dear, I take zyrtec regularly and am on an SSRI, lol. I have spoken to my doc about taking my meds with allergy tablets, cold/flu medicines and he said it was fine. Have been doing it for years and never had an adverse reaction. I guess some things depend on what doctor you speak to and their opinions.

kiwiang
06-14-2012, 07:40 AM
Always pays to ask someone qualified :) I always check everything with my chemist or gp....just gives you total piece of mind:)