PDA

View Full Version : Question about therapy

Velrose
06-11-2012, 10:25 AM
So I'm going to see a therapist that specializes in anxiety on Wednesday. I keep having these horrible "what if" thoughts. They usually involve me going crazy and hurting someone. I know I will NEVER actually act on these thoughts. They make ill to think of, they make me feel like a horrible person, like a monster...

I want to get rid of them. If I tell my therapist about them though, will she call the police? Will she have my daughter taken away from me??

I'm really getting nervous for these things...

bhamlaxy
06-11-2012, 11:04 AM
She would only do something if she thought you were imminently and definitely going to do something like that.

YOU know and SHE will know that you will not- You said it yourself, you know you will NEVER act on these thoughts. This is a very common anxious tendency and your therapist will most certainly understand that.

Be very clear with your therapist that you get these disturbing thoughts (describe them in detail) but have never acted on them, and would never under any circumstances act on them. But they are still scary and disturbing. She will most definitely understand.

JAug
06-11-2012, 01:23 PM
That's a very common thinking process among those with anxiety and obsessive thoughts. It's harmless.

Velrose
06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Thank you both for replying. It helps ease my mind a bit, but of course, the worry of it is still there. :3

hopeNfaith88
06-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Here are the limits of confidentiality in the U.S.:

LIMITS OF CONFIDENTIALITY
Contents of all therapy sessions are considered to be confidential. Both verbal information and written records about a client cannot be shared with another party without the written consent of the client or the client’s legal guardian. Noted exceptions are as follows:

Duty to Warn and Protect
When a client discloses intentions or a plan to harm another person, the mental health professional is required to warn the intended victim and report this information to legal authorities. In cases in which the client discloses or implies a plan for suicide, the health care professional is required to notify legal authorities and make reasonable attempts to notify the family of the client.

Abuse of Children and Vulnerable Adults
If a client states or suggests that he or she is abusing a child (or vulnerable adult) or has recently abused a child (or vulnerable adult), or a child (or vulnerable adult) is in danger of abuse, the mental health professional is required to report this information to the appropriate social service and/or legal authorities.

Prenatal Exposure to Controlled Substances
Mental Health care professionals are required to report admitted prenatal exposure to controlled substances that are potentially harmful.

------------

Interpret the above as you may...but Be careful what you say because if the therapist gets the impression that your daughter is in danger or that you are homicidal, he or she is obligated by law to report you.

Velrose
06-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh I understand entirely. I have NO intentions at all of ever, EVER acting on such things. The idea of it horrifies me--which is why it scares me to even possibly admit that such terrible thoughts would pop into my head. I'd never hurt anyone... animal, human... the thought sickens me. It's just a FEAR brought on by my anxiety.

That said, I DO know that if I were to go in saying I was WANTING to hurt someone, or WANTED to hurt myself, the therapist is obligated to tell someone.