PDA

View Full Version : Work and anxiety?

Slumberless
06-10-2012, 09:40 AM
First of all I'm new to these forums, so hello to all :)

I've dealt with anxiety (social and generalized) as well as depression all my life. It varies in severity and usually comes and goes depending on what is going on in my life. I am currently working for Walmart 32-34 hours a week and having a very difficult time. It's been nearly two months now and I've finally gotten to the point where I don't feel I can go on. I'm anxious the entire time, and then just as anxious if not worse when I'm at home because I'm thinking about being at work. I think it's just the fast paced environment, although the cash register (in the garden center) is definitely a trigger. It has been getting worse over time and I've come to the point where I am crying daily. Weekends are the roughest for me (so busy) and yesterday I cried before work, at lunch, and then for over an hour when I got home. I feel pretty hysterical at times. I've talked to someone about being transferred to another department but I'm not even sure at this point if its my department. I thought it was the register making life so rough on me until I realized I'm really just stressed over working so much, dealing with finances for the first time in my life, etc.

I've called in to work today because Sundays are my worst days and I know being in the state I'm in I wouldn't have made it through the day anyway. I'm considering asking my mom for help with bills so I don't have to work quite as much (maybe 20 hours) which is says A LOT because I never ask for help. And of course thinking about asking is making me anxious :p My boyfriend keeps telling me to hang in there, they will transfer me and it will get better. But I'm struggling to make it through each day and I wish he understood how hard it is to even get out of bed :(

Anyway, I've been reading forum posts on my breaks/lunches at work and it's been making me feel a little better. Trying to remind myself that I'm suffering but so are a lot of other people and we're never alone. I was wondering what you all have dealt with as far as work and your anxiety? Has anyone ever quit their job due to anxiety/depression?

Velrose
06-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I've not quit a job, but since my husband may be losing his, I might have to look for one. The idea of it is terrifying because I don't know how I can function and work with anxiety and the shakes I'm having right now.

Maybe try to make your time at home as stress free as possible? Relax, watch movies, enjoy a good meal?

arsenalfun
06-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Just don't be afraid to face it, you might feel worse for some days but after some time you will start to feel better in general. There is no reason for quit, if you feel bad, go to toilet, wash your face, drink something cold and go back to work, be patient and sleep well, sleeping is very important.

Buttercup
06-11-2012, 06:51 AM
I've never quit a job becuase of anxiety but i have been off sick for it. In the past 10 years I have had a couple of bad patches and been off twice for 6 months at a time. Is there any way your work could give you some time off to get your head together?

bhamlaxy
06-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Medication helps some, and not others. It can cover up the symptoms, but won't permanently heal you.

In this case, I would highly recommend visiting a psychiatrist if you haven't already. The last thing you want is to lose your job because of anxiety.

You would probably do a 2-step approach
- You would be prescribed a benzo- like ativan, xanax, klonopin etc. Even a small dose like .5mg of ativan will TOTALLY relax you and be able to get you through the day. When I needed it for work, that dose before I went in and I was fine for several hours, with almost no anxiety whatsoever.
- An anti-depressant. These take awhile to kick in (the benzo will keep you functioning until then) but it will smooth things out and decrease your anxiety overall.

I did that exact combo when starting a new very stressful job. A month in and I haven't had a panic attack in weeks, I haven't needed an ativan in almost a month, I have only had the slightest anxiety which was so harmless, and I've been fully functioning and having a great time at work.

I would also HIGHLY recommend therapy. You need to figure out why work is sparking panic. Maybe there is some sort of underlying thought or fear related to your work?

dazza
06-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Can you answer these questions...

1/ Can you imagine yourself being happy in ANY job right now? (if so... what?)

2/ Can you imagine yourself being happy if you won the lottery tonight and never had to work again?

3/ What worries you the most? (relationship, money, other?)

4/ Generally, are you happy in life? (what you have, etc.) (if no - why not?)

I mean... what's REALLY bothering you? (there's usually some underlying worry or concern in cases like yours)

beeben
06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
What would be more helpful for you to read would be a good anxiety program because, hard though it may seem to believe now you certainly do not need to live with anxiety all your life. At my clinic I usually sort people out in less than ten weeks - often faster.

Start from the position of knowing you can sort this out with the right advice and look for that advice, there is quite a bit on line. Remember nobody can do it for you, it takes the right advice and a willingness to follow that advice.

beeben
06-11-2012, 10:03 AM
LOL there is more to anxiety than washing your face and telling an anxiety sufferer to get a good sleep isn't helpful, if they could sleep properly (neither too little nor too much) they probably will be functioning well anyway.

Get a good relaxation track (I don't mean just quiet music I mean one produced professionally by a clinical hypnotherapist - there a a few on line, I have some I have produced myself, They will be the first step then get a good anxiety program which explains whats going on in your mind and what you can do about it - because you can kick this with the right advice. Avoid persription drugs unless your anxiety is at panic attack levels of you have sunk into dpression then get off them as fast as you can.