PDA

View Full Version : Go to court?

Marcille1998
06-10-2012, 05:22 AM
Few months back, my dads girlfriends son tried to rape me... Now I was given the decision of either going to court or dropping the case, and I don't know what to do. I want something to be done about it, but I don't want to see him... I'm worried about getting a panic attack in court... What do you think?

laurandisorder
06-10-2012, 05:56 AM
The decision is ultimately up to you honey. I am so sorry that you had to go through such an awful experience.

Try to weigh up the pros and cons of the situation. If you take this guy to court, he will get punished and he won't get away with what he did. But the whole situation could be horribly stressful and you might have a panic attack in court.

But if you do, what is the worst thing that will happen? You wouldn't faint or embarrass yourself and no-one would blame you for it IF it happened.

Good luck with your decision x

dazza
06-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Nasty situation. Sorry to hear it :-(

However, the A-hole in question needs to be put to trial as soon as humanly possible.

I must say though, perhaps if you don't feel like you can go through with it just yet then don't? Perhaps you need a little more time
to get over the worst of it?
(I'm sure that, even if a victim doesn't suffer anxiety - this must be a pretty horrific experience anyway and the event itself must
cause anxiety)

If you do prolong it - I suggest you MUST let the appropriate people know of your condition (A/D) and that THIS is the reason why you
can't do it just yet. I.e. the police / the court / and everyone else involved.

You will need people you trust to go with you. This will help somewhat.

Buttercup
06-10-2012, 06:46 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your situation. It must be awful for you.
I think it is very important for you to proceed with the case. This man needs to be punnished. What he did was so beyond wrong words can't describe it and there is also the risk he may do it again to other people so he must be taken to court where I presume he will be put on a sex offender's register to protect the public in future. I think it would also be very important for your piece of mind in the future. I truly believe that you will beat yourself up about it in the future if you don't go through with it.
I have looked at your profile and seen that you are 14, you are a minor so therefore the court can put things in place for you if you physically do not want to be there- video link ups are common especially for minors and women who have been the victims of crimes like this. That means you are in a different room with a camera instead of sitting in the actual court. Naturally you will be stressed and anxious and are likely to suffer a panic attack but that is ok, it won't kill you and you will get through it. There will be people there to support you every step of the way. Speak to the lawyer about all your concerns and i have no doubt that they will be very helpful and understanding.
Good luck
B x

Marcille1998
06-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna do it.

bhamlaxy
06-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Worst case scenario, take .5mg of ativan or another benzo before going in. It will substantially aid in holding off serious anxiety.

PanicCured
06-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Marcille, go to court and go through with this. You will regret it later in life if you don't. If someone really tried to rape you, I mean a real rape, than go ahead with the lawyers and the court and think how much better you will feel later on in life. Think of the next victim you are helping. This was a real rape right, not just some guy trying to hook up with you or anything? Just checking.

laurandisorder
06-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna do it.

Good for you honey.
Your bravery could save other women from experiencing the same thing or worse from this guy xxx

jrpgjr
09-17-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm a 35 year closeted male rape victim and I hope you hung him by his balls! Just began telling people in August and just joined this today. Hope you went through with it.
Joe

trinidiva
09-18-2012, 10:34 AM
I am a victim of an attempted sexual assault by a close friends cousin. I never pressed charges and now I regret it. I was young at the time end extremely tramatized. I think it definitely caused a lot of my anxiety issues and extreme mistrust of any male figures. Now that I have kids, I feel that my hyper vigilance has kicked into super high gear.....I even get nervous about them being around any male cousins, etc.....
I'm glad you are going to court. I wish I would have. I feel like perhaps I would of had some sense of closure.