PDA

View Full Version : Does it ever go away for good?

Velrose
06-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Ok, so back in 2007/2008 I had a back bout of anxiety and panic attacks with intrusive thoughts. I was on zoloft and lorazepam, and seeing a counselor. This went on for many months, and in time, I felt better. I've felt wonderful until this last week, when I got some pretty stressful and bad news. Since then, I've been having panic attacks and intrusive thoughts again. I thought I was better? My question.... I guess.....Can I ever get rid of this permanently? I went almost 4 years with no symptoms and thought I was good.....

JAug
06-08-2012, 08:55 AM
This is a trick question.

Anxiety will never go away because there is no such thing as a person that has zero worries or concerns in the world. If you approach anxiety as an all or nothing battle, then you will lose because you are chasing perfectionism.

From seeing a therapist and learning faults in your own thought processes and perceptions of life you will learn how to correct faulty thinking habits. It takes time, and your mind will fight back and challenge you. But, if you stick with it, trust your doctors and put your faith in proven methods you will get better. It won't be instant, but it will be something that can never be taken away from you.

Hope this answers your question. :)

Velrose
06-08-2012, 01:43 PM
I just thought I was getting better. I haven't been on meds or to the dr in so many years, and now a week straight with constant anxiety and panic attacks... at least one a day. I have to find hope...

alankay
06-08-2012, 01:44 PM
The underlying stress and/or conflict causes the anxiety. If you're in a period on low stress/conflict you may have experienced little anxiety. Once back under the high stress........... the anxiety returned. Good news is that you have less a predisposition to anxiety as many never have a period of no/low anxiety after initially being diagnosed with a true "disorder". You may not have an anxiety disorder(significant interuption with work/family/school) at all. You may just have an elevated level of anxiety during stressful times and so experience some higher anxiety than others but less than those with true "full blown" high anxiety/panic disorders. If you manage it as you had before with help, you might get though just fine and then drop any meds once in a less troubled time. Alankay

Velrose
06-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I never looked at it like that.

It's just... when the panic attacks and anxiety hit me, they hit hard. I begin to have obsessive thoughts, which have NOTHING to do with stress in my life. Seriously... I obsess over some of the strangest things, but they are scary, and no matter what I try to do, I can't shake the thoughts and fears.

Velrose
06-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Well, I finally got in touch with the psych place I deal with. I'm going to see a new counselor. One that specializes in anxiety, but this won't be until Wednesday. I have to make it through the weekend. Do you have any suggestions on what I should be looking for with the counselor? The last one I went to, seemed to only focus on managing the stress....she was fresh out of school....soo.... that may have had something to do with it.

Velrose
06-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Thank you for the advice. Even though I've been through this once before, since it's been such a long time, I kind of feel like I'm floundering about.